Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My saved documents used to have an icon that was a preview of that doc…

Customer Question
My saved documents used to...
My saved documents used to have an icon that was a preview of that document, but now it is just a generic Quark icon. How do I fix that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 2 years ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. Are these Word documents or something else?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you
QuarkXpress documents
Are you still able to open / edit any of those QuarkXpress documents?
Was there any update or change recently to your computer that may have caused the issue?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Yes, I can open/edit those documents. I had a "trojan" that I recently had to remove and the problem started then.
Do you open a document directly in Finder? Or do you open a document by opening QuarkXpress application first, then use the Open option in the QuarkXpress application? Please let me know. Thank you.
I just double click on the icon
However, it also works when I use the Open option in the QuarkXpress application
Do you mean you double-click on the icon of each documents in order to open it?
Does it open in the correct application (i.e., QuarkXpress, etc.)? Or did it open in a different application previously?
What's the extension of those documents, such as .doc?
When you said previously, the icon was a preview of that document, do you mean you actually could read the content of it? Or it was the same generic preview icon for all documents?
Was QuarkXpress updated recently?
Please let me know. Thank you.
I double click the icon and the document opens in Quark as it always has. QuarkXpress does NOT have file extensions in Mac. Yes, I could actually see/read the preview of the document. Quark WAS update, but AFTER the problem began.
What's your QuarkXpress version? Thank you.
Version 9
I also have version 10 and it does the same thing in that version.
Can you please download and install the AdoView quicklook item at the website below and check:
http://wikisend.com/download/282840/adoview_ql_installer.zip
Please let me know. Thank you.
Nothing happened
I'm sorry, were you able to download the file "adoview_ql_installer.zip"? If yes, what happens when you open / install it? Does it show anything? Please let me know. Thank you.
Yes, but it shows nothing!!
Select a document file and choose File > Get Info or press Command (⌘)–I.
Click the triangle next to Name & Extension to expand the section and see the filename extension for the file.
To show or hide the filename extension, select or deselect “Hide extension.”
Then let me know the extension of it. Thank you.
qxp
This should be easy for anyone who knows Quark well!
I'm sorry, I'm not sure about this issue, so let me know the issue to other experts. Thank you.
I have no more time. Good bye!
Don't worry, you can always come back tomorrow or any time when you are available; we will email you; we guarantee our service. Thank you.
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory
Open Terminal in Applications / Utilities copy and paste this line then hit Return and restart the computer:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
Mike, Mac Medic