Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My macbook pro seems hotter than normal in the top left area

Customer Question
of the keyboard. Should I...
my macbook pro seems hotter than normal in the top left area of the keyboard. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
6/9/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 2 years ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Was it hotter than previously? There is likely some dust in it. Can you get an air can duster and spray through all the vents / openings of the laptop. You can spray everywhere on the laptop to clean it also.

graphic

Thank you.

i did the spray thing, its still getting hot.

Also its been super slow.

Can you give me some tips on how to speed it up

Sorry, if it's really hot, then you would need the Apple Store to replace the heatsink / fan.

If internet is slow, then you can clear cache / data in Safari and/or reset it. And/or try another browser internet application like Chrome:
https://www.google.com/chrome/

- You can use the AdwareMedic application to scan your computer:
http://www.adwaremedic.com/AdwareMedic.dmg
http://www.adwaremedic.com

, and also use the Avast Anti-Virus program to scan your computer:
https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-mac-security

- You can use a free app to clean up your mac / delete any unnecessary files; please see video instructions below:

- OnyX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4C0VtU1AwE
http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

http://www.easypctutorials.com/how-to-maintenance-your-mac-with-onyx/

- OmniDiskSweeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwMjc-4_uIM

http://www.omnigroup.com/more
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/how-to-find-and-delete-pesky-other-data-in-os-x-and-ios/

Thank you,

you wrote - If internet is slow, then you can clear cache / data in Safari and/or reset it.

///

I never really use safari, its too slow. I use firefox and chrome every day, i use chrome for personal stuff and firefox for my work. If you believe clearing the cache in these can you provide instructions.

Sorry, is internet slow? If yes, in Firefox, click on the 3-bar menu at the upper right corner, then click on History, then clear recent history, then select Everything for Time range to clear, then check only the two boxes: Cache and Offline Website Date, then clear
; if needed, click on the 3-bar menu at the upper right corner, then click on the ? (question mark), then troubleshooting information, then refresh firefox.
- For Chrome, click on the 3-bar menu at the upper right corner, then History, then clear Clear browsing data, then select "the beginning of time" at "Obliterate the following items from". Then check only the two boxes "Cached images and files", and "Hosted app data", then Clear browsing data.
; if needed, click on the 3-bar menu at the upper right corner, then click on Settings, then scroll down at the bottom, then Show advanced settings if shown, then scroll down at the bottom, then Reset/fresh, and confirm.

You can also try my previous suggestions for cleaning up the computer. Thank you.
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech