Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics.
23511658

Lightroom - I had a Seagate Plus peripheral device connected

Customer Question

Lightroom - I had a Seagate Plus peripheral device connected to my Lightroom catalog. It has been damaged and will need to be restored. In the meantime I have purchased an identical Seagate Peripheral with an identical name and am trying to get it to work. It recognizes the new device when I "add folder" and I've been able to create subfolders. In Lightroom, however, only the original, now damaged, device shows up. I cannot see the new replacement device to transfer files to it. What should I do? I can't figure out how to delete the original damaged device.
I'm using a Mac with the latest OS operating system.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. If your new drive does not show in the folders panel check first if it shows on the left side in the <Import Dialog>.If it does show there then do this: In Mac Finder create a copy of one of your image files and rename it; then move it to a folder on your G drive.Then import this photo into Lr with the Import Dialog by using the feature <Add> in the top center of the Import Dialog. If you are permanently replacing the drive and if you put your previous photos onto this new drive, then you will want to use the feature of light room that allows you to find missing files. This is because the catalog has the metadata for these photos but doesn't have the link to the photo any longer. This will basically keep your existing metadata and just link it to the new files. If that's what you are trying to do then Control-click (Mac OS) on the folder and choose Find Missing Folder from the context menu.Navigate to the file path of the moved folder and click Choose.Please let me know if this helps or if you need additional assistance. The basic explanation here is that the catalog and the actual photo files are separate. If you are just adding new photos from the new drive then importing one will add it to your catalog. If you want to reassociate the existing catalog entries with the new drive &ndash; if you're photos of their &ndash; then you can just use the find folder option. Mike