Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am using Skype on a Macbook Pro - since I changed my ISP…

Customer Question
Hi I am using Skype...
Hi I am using Skype on a Macbook Pro - since I changed my ISP Skype and FaceTime have become unusable and yet I have better broadband performance - 11/0.45 MBs - any clues as to why this might be?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/5/2015
Mac Support Specialist: dresteve2000, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 years ago
dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!When you say unusable, do you mean that the performance is very poor? Are you still able to sign in, make calls, etc. ?
Connecting is slow and when a connection is made the video breaks up and the the receiver cannot here my voice or it is very broken.
I see, thanks for that information. Which ISP were you with and which did you switch to? I know some ISP will throttle certain services even if you high available bandwidth
I was with BT and changed to Phone Coop (UK). My broadband speed is much better from 6.5 to 10+ MBs down and from 0.3 to 0.45 MBs up. Internet surfing more responsive.
I'm guessing you probably did switch your modem also yes? Is your new modem also acting as your wireless router? Are you connecting your MacBook Pro via wifi?
Yep it is a Technicolor router (TG582n) but I have an Apple Airport extreme plugged into the back. This provides good wifi coverage around the home. The wifi in the router is switched off. Apart from the new ISP and the new router nothing else has changed....except better broadband speed.
Do you know if your Phone Coop plan has any kind of throttling restrictions on it? Does this always happen or do you notice it only sometimes?
No I don't think so. I have only been with them for 3 weeks. It is a business plan so I pay more than a home plan. Interestingly I tied a FaceTime call tonight on Wifi with my iPhone - it was very poor. I then turned of the connection to Wifi and tried it over the 3G network - perfect! So it is either my wireless network or my ISP.
Do you have any devices connected direct to the router via ethernet?
An apple Airport Extreme. I have tested with my Mac plugged directly into the back of the router and I still experience the same problems, so I have eliminated the wireless network as the problem. It would appear to be a VoIP problem specifically so I am wondering if a special router might be required.
Great, thanks for testing that, I was trying to eliminate the wireless as the issue as well. Have you adjusted the port configurations for Skype and Facetime on your new modem yet? Possibly might need to open/forward some ports to allow Skype and Facetime to work correctly.
I have a Technicolor TG582n router - which was pre-configured, I can connect on Skype and FaceTime albeit very slowly and those I am calling cannot hear me properly. ISP says that if I can connect the ports are fine.
Since it is an issue with both your phone and computer I would have to say the problem lies in the router/firewall somewhere...Is the router provided by the ISP? They could offer you a replacement device to see if that resolves the issue
Funny you should say that a replacement router is on the way....I will have it tomorrow.
Great! Please let me know if that resolves your issue. If so, please do leave a positive rating here, would greatly be appreciated. Otherwise please reply back and I can try to assist further to see what might changes might need to be made on the router for things to work correctly
I have received a replacement router and tested it. The same problem persists. I have even done research and changed some of the settings on the router by telnet to disable SIP ALG. This had no affect whatsoever. Upstream packet loss seems to be the most likely problem but unfortunately there's no packet loss when I test it. No one seems to be able to sort this problem out. I am very frustrated.
Sorry to hear that didn't work...I think the problem definitely lies with the router or the ISP though...let me try to locate some more information about this topic and get back with you.