Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Quark 2015 worked fine few days after new install last

Customer Question
Quark 2015 worked fine for...
Quark 2015 worked fine for a few days after new install last week. Now I get the dreaded spinning ball. Cannot even get into preferences. Quark can't even see itself for updates. I really need to get back to work - and with confidence in the new program.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2015
Mac Support Specialist: dresteve2000, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! I should be able to assist you to re install. Would you like to connect remotely so I can assist you to do this?
for now, lets try type.
How familiar are you with Quark 2015 in the Mac world?
Its now 12:21. The page time is stuck on 12:09...
We are still connected. I am quite familiar, this issue often time is caused by something in your profile (typically permissions) that cause Quark not to be able to open.
Re-installing usually does the trick to fix the system files, but if it doesn't you would either have to repair the permissions on your profile using disk utility or create a new profile.
Although many times I have seen the disk utility repair not work correctly...often times people have to create another profile and move their data over.
Permissions can be found where?
Open the Disk Utility application in OS X (located in /Applications/Utilities/)Select the disk from the left side menu to repair permissions forGo to the “First Aid” tab and click the “Repair Disk Permissions” button and let the process run from start to finish – this may take a while depending on the size and speed of the hard driveRepair Disk Permissions in Mac OS XYou will likely see multiple messages stating that various files and directories have been “Repaired” after finding differing permissions, which will look something like this:Permissions differ on “Applications/.DS_Store”; should be -rw-rw-r– ; they are -rw-r–r–Repaired “Applications/.DS_Store”Group differs on “Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources”; should be 80; group is 0.Repaired “Library/Printers/PPDs”When finished, you will see a “Permissions repair complete” message appear in the Disk Utility console. If you have multiple hard drives or volumes attached to the Mac, you may as well run the process again on the other drive while you’re in here.
After running "Repair Disk" (took a few secs) got a long list of what it checked. All appears to be good.
Do not see a “Permissions repair complete” message...
Its now 12:41, do I need to restart? I just tried launching Quark and it failed...
Yes please try giving it a restart.
If I restart, I will loose you.
Tried "Repair Disk Permissions" got a different result. It does say "Permissions repair complete". this is the log: Repairing permissions for “Mark's Mac”Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.Group differs on “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.Permissions differ on “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”; should be -rw-rw-rw- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .Repaired “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”Permissions differ on “Library/Java”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .Repaired “Library/Java”Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.Repaired “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”User differs on “Applications/.DS_Store”; should be 0; user is 501.Permissions differ on “Applications/.DS_Store”; should be -rw-rw-r-- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .Repaired “Applications/.DS_Store”User differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; user is 244.Group differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; group is 244.Repaired “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”
Permissions repair complete
Is this helpful?
Signing off :-(
Sorry I'm in between questions right now and not getting the notice that you had responded. Apologize for that
You can find me again when you get back online via your Just Answer account or the link you can find in your email also
I had to sign off. I was online with you for an hour and my questions to you went un answered. "Is this helpful" (the code), and if I restarted, per my suggestion and your agreement, you did not respond to my concern that you would loose me...I needed more attention than you were able to offer.My problem was urgent because the computer is key to my work flow. With Quark down, I was down. I sought out another specialist who determined my Quark was fine and that one of my hard drives was in conflict with it whereby crashing Quark. Unplugging this drive from my network restored my work flow.
I understand...sorry we got disconnected. Glad you got it working now...
Mike, Mac Medic