Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I was on safari when it locked out, an error message keeps…

Customer Question
I was on safari when...
I was on safari when it locked out, an error message keeps coming up telling me to phone this number 1(###) ###-#### ***** my computer has been compromised. is this an actual help number or some kind of scam?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
6/1/2015
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 2 years ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant
Hi, that is indeed a scam so you should not call it. Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please? Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen Select "About This Mac" In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says. Thanks,John
I have Mac OS X, 10.7.5
Thanks! Quit Safari if it is still running. Press and hold the Shift key down while starting Safari and verify it is performing normally. Click "Safari" in the menubar Choose "Reset Safari" On the dialog window that opens, all options should be checked except the following (if they exist)- Remove saved names and passwords- Remove other AutoFill form text Click "Reset" When it's done, restart Safari, and see if the issue is resolved. John
John T. F., Apple Consultant