Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Bought an ipad used on ebay and cannot activate

Customer Question
bought an ipad used on ebay and cannot activate
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mac
5/31/2015
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 3 years ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant
Hi, can you provide further details on your issue? What does the screen say exactly? Thanks,John
A password ***** ***** to activate this device because it's owner has used Find My iPhone to link it to their Apple ID.if this is your device, enter the Apple ID and password ***** used to set up iCloud.If you were given this device or purchased it second-hand, you will need to contact the original owner to have them remove this device from their account. Additional information can be found at : support.apple.com/kb/TS4515
Thanks! You are dealing with a feature called "Activation Lock". This is a high security feature and there is no way as an end user to bypass it. When selling the device, the original owner should have disabled this before giving it to you. You MUST have that password ***** order to proceed OR the original owner must remove it from their iCloud account. If the previous owner is not present, contact them and ask them to follow these steps to remove the device from their account:======How to remove a device from an iCloud account using iCloud.com 1. Turn the device in question Off or put it in airplane mode. If the device is on and Find My iPhone has an active location, it will not allow you to delete it. 2. From a computer, go to www.icloud.com and sign in using the iCloud ID that is currently tied to the iPhone or iPad in question. 3. Now click on Find My iPhone. 4. Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen. 5. Find the device in question in the list and click on it. 6. On the next screen, click on Remove from Account. You may get a popup over the map instead, if that's the case, refer to below. 7. One more popup will come up asking you to confirm. Click on Remove. Note: If you got a popup with device information on the map instead of the device information screen, verify the device is Off and Find My iPhone isn't finding a location for it. If that's the case, follow these steps: 1. Click on All Devices at the top of the Find My iPhone screen one more time. 2. Find the device in the list again and this time you should see a gray x appear to the right of it. Click it. 3. A popup will appear asking you if you're sure you want to remove the device. Click Remove. How to remove a device from an iCloud account using the Find My iPhone app 1. Turn the device in question Off or put it in airplane mode. If the device is on and Find My iPhone has an active location, it will not allow you to delete it. 1. Launch the Find My iPhone app from a different iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and sign in to the account that is currently tied to the iOS device in question. 2. Find the device in the list and tap on it. 3. In the top right hand corner, tap on Remove.====== After the device has been removed from the previous owner’s account, turn it on by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button located on the top right side of the device. Then proceed with device setup as you would normally. Note: Apple has been known to take a tough stance on this issue due to theft concerns. However, if you can get no where with the above, you may try calling at 1-***-***-**** in the US or 0844(###) ###-####in the UK. If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing. Thanks and good luck,John