Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to mass delete ALL emails from my inbox (20,000)

Customer Question
on my iPad. I have...
I am trying to mass delete ALL emails from my inbox (20,000) on my iPad. I have mass deleted emails from my computer in the past but never my iPhone or iPad. I cannot find any way to do this. When you check "Mark all" you cannot then "trash" or "junk" them.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mac
5/31/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 3 years ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer / tablet professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. What email do you use, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.?
Please click on the website below for the instructions video for how to delete all emails on your iPad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbIP6EbndvA
This usually works, but it does not work for some email accounts / for some iPad's versions. Please reply back, so I can troubleshoot further as needed.
When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,
Thank you. A little busy at work. ( Hospital ED) I'll try as soon as I can.
You're welcome. OK. Also, if needed, please see written instructions below:
1. Open Inbox
2. Then select Edit >> Mark All >> Mark As Read, if shown.
3. Open Inbox, then select Edit
, then check/select the very top message
, this will enable these options: Mark, Move, & Trash.
4. Press & keep holding the Move button while unchecking the top message that you had just checked earlier
, then release the Move button
, the email folders should be appear, so you select where to move the messages to.
5. Select Trash to delete them all (move them all to Trash).
, this will take time depending on the number of messages you have; wait a few minutes.
6. Once all messages have moved to the Trash, you can either leave them there for the scheduled cleaning or empty it right away by going to Trash folder, then tap Edit. Then Delete All.
Note: It seems that if you open any individual Mailbox after doing this, they are all returned. You may need to wait for the Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > [mail account] > Advanced > Deleted Messages, Remove... period to expire, before it becomes permanent.
- If that does not work, go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, then tap on your email account, then delete account
, then add account
, then all messages will be gone.