Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Bought music on iTunes and got the error message disk could

Customer Question
not be read from or...
bought music on iTunes and got the error message disk could not be read from or written to and please check that the connection to the network is active and try again. iTunes lib is on external drive.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
5/29/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Hello there! The reason you are receiving this issue is because itunes doesnt believe that you account has access to the itunes folder. Follow the steps below to fix this issue.

Go to the itunes folder on your external hard drive.
Press Command-I ("Get Info" from the File menu), click on the padlock icon in the lower right of the new window. Enter your user password. Click on your username just above the now-open padlock. Select "Read & Write". Now even if your user account is set with "Read & Write" privileges (it may have been this way already; still do this next step), click on the gear on the bottom-center of that window. Click on "Apply to all enclosed items." When the pop-up says "Are you sure?" (or the equivalent), say "yes."

nope. not the problem.

Then we will have to move the folder back or have itunes create a new one then try to download again. This will verify if that folder/ hard drive is the issue.

ok. So I should move my entire library over ??

You could but its not needed as we can just create a new library ( by holding the shift key when opening itunes) and select new library. Then just make sure its located your macs hd not the external hard drive.

nope. not working.

Would you like me to remotely connect to fix the issue?

No. thanks anyhow.

Lets try the below then

CLick apple icon

select system preferences

select users (or accounts in earlier versions)

then Click the plus icon ( underneath the list of users)

and select to make a admin user

you can use whatever name you like as long as it is not the same as your current user

then click ok

select the apple icon and select sign out

and sign in to the new account

is it the same?
Johnny  Mack
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist