Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My daughter was looking at pictures of lizards on line and

Customer Question
Hi my daughter was looking...
Hi my daughter was looking at pictures of lizards on line and after clicking a picture she got a message that my computer detected a virus. She clicked on the bottom that said ok to downloading ao w new software. It looked like an advertisement to me so I shut my computer off. Now it won't start up. I'm getting a circle with a line though it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
5/28/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,
I'm sorry about the issue, please try one of those solutions :
Solution 1 : Reset PRAM and NVRAM
1-Shut down your Mac
2-Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
3-Turn on the computer.
4-Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.
You must press this key combination before the "circle with a line though it."
5-Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
6-Release the keys.
Solution 2 : Restart in Safe mode
1-Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
2-Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator.
3-Let the Mac boot up.
Solution 3 : Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode
1-Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command :
/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)
If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy
2-Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type
: reboot
3-hit return and Let the Mac boot up
Hope this help
Thank you
Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated, if you still need help, please reply back to me and i will gladly continue to help you
JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.
Thank you
Running the solution #3.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I ran solution #3. The system has finished running disk utility, and its stopped on :/ root#
what do I do next?
type : reboot
and check if that work or not
Thanks
has everything worked out, do you still need help please?
regards
I typed reboot, but it got stuck on the blue screen.
Can you turn it off manually please then check if it work
thank you
Yes, I shut it down.
Should I try to start up
again?
you shut it down aand it stuck on the blue screen, is that right please?
yes please.
Start up is stuck on blue screen now. Spinning grey wheel comes on and off screen.
did you tried Disk Utility ? If not, try it and let me know if it shows any errors
I tried solution 3, which I believe is disk utility.
I typed " /sbin/fsck -fy" until it gave me the "ok" message. Then I typed "reboot", but it got stuck on the blue screen.
Ok, Please Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk :
• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop
If that doesn't worked, ten you have to Re-Install your Mac OS.
You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.
additional information about Archive and Install : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1710
Hope this help
Thank you
I don't have the os x install disc that came with computer.
please try again solution #3 :
Restart and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. When you see the Unix screen, type the following command...
If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy
Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return.
If that doesn't worked out, then you need to use the os x installation disc
Thank you
Your satisfaction is my top goal.If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated.
regards
Mr.Med
Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Hardware Engineer