Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I downloaded Quicken 2015 and paid $75. I am told

Customer Question

I downloaded Quicken for Mac 2015 and paid $75. I am told that on my Macbook Pro 17 I am using Mac osx 10.6.8 (which I have had no trouble with and won't change unless I have to). I tried to update to a 10.7 or later (with fancy names) and can't find how to do it. Is this possible for me to do? Is this something I should have you do? Should I be content with what I have and ignore the purchase of the Quicken software. There is Mint out there (similar to Quicken), but I find I do not have the versatility I had with Quicken years ago.
XXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Quicken does require Mac OS X 10.7 or later versions. You definitely have to use latest OS X if you want to use Quicken on your Mac. I'd recommend to upgrade your Mac to latest OS X. The latest is Mac OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite. It is FREE !
Goto Applications folder and open App Store application. Search Mac OS X or Yosemite. Select Mac OS X Yosemite from there and click Install/Download.
After downloading it, goto Applications folder and open the Mac OS X Installer. Then follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade.
Backup your important files to an external hard drive before upgrading, for safety.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am saving your email and waiting to work with a Mac User to help me back up my files which have been unable to do, before I update my operating system then starting the Quicken application. I have an external drive but do not know if it is large enough. I have already saved my music and photos to the cloud so I assume this should be possible. But I must say I have been happy with my MAC FOR THE PAST 8 YEARS!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Upgrading the OS X will not delete anything from your Mac, but if anything goes wrong while upgrading it is good to have a backup to restore your data.
You can use Time Machine application to backup your Mac to it. Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201250
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you or your continued support. I have printed out the time machine article and will try to tackle that after errands.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to back up my computer as you suggested but I find that the external hard drive I thought had was a "Passport" drive I formatted back in 2008 with a host of old DOS pictures. I am now trying to obtain another external drive to back everything up. I am not ignoring you I am simply trying to follow your directions!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should have just brought my laptop to the Genius bar!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I understand. It is not important to backup as upgrading process will not delete anything, but it is a recommended to backup always.
You can erase that external hard drive and format it for your Mac. The hard drive must be formatted for Mac, then only Time Machine will work. Erasing or formatting will erase everything from it. See here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201909
(Just follow the steps from 1-9 and ignore the Aperture in title)