Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am opening an Excel on iMac but the top line "File, Edit,

Customer Question

I am opening an Excel on iMac but the top line "File, Edit, etc" is not visible.
So I cannot close spreadsheets and open new ones.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Close Excel. Then hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the file 'com.microsoft.Excel.plist'. Then open Excel. That should bring it back.
If that didn't work, then close it. Hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and this time, trash the Microsoft folder.
Try Excel. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I removed both the files and it did not work.Please advise.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does this happen in Excel only ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - with Word the top line is not visible but if you take your cursor to the top then it becomes available.With Excel - it does not.If you can fix the problem it would be good to keep it permanent and do the same with Word.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the Office installation discs/file ?
Have you tried reinstalling Office ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no installation discs.Do you mean can I see a file named "Office installation discs/file"?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, I mean the physical installation discs to reinstall office or the installation file you downloaded. Since you don't have it, open Word. Click on Help menu and select Check for Updates. Then do all updates. Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Make sure Excel or Word is not in Full Screen Mode. Press Command, Control and F at same time and this will turn off Full Screen Mode.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open Excel and press Command, Control and F at same on the keyboard and this will turn off full screen mode. Or press the full screen button to turn it off. See the picture or attachment below;
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I installed update for Office 2011 14.4.9 - that did not make any difference.I pressed Command, Control and F and that created a smaller screen and now File, Edit, etc is visible.But when I open large scree it disappears and does not appear if you move the cursor to the top - as in Word.How do I make it permanent?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you reset the preferences correctly ? Can we do a screenshare session, so I can remotely connect to your computer to see the screen and we can work on the issue together ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure - let me know what I need to do to facilitate the process?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
On your Mac, goto this website --> www.join.me
Then click Start Meeting. An application will be downloaded or you will be asked for permission to open the app. If downloaded, open and run it. Then you will get a 9 digit code on the screen. Please let me know the code here and I will connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
283-169-015
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
will connect now. If asked for mouse control, please allow it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure - use Track Pad
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Connected. Open the join.me app from the dock to chat me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Issue resolved via remote support.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day,
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Good or Excellent (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit. Then only I will get paid for helping you.
Thanks and Have a great day,