Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I want to set up a personal (private) cloud on my home network.

Customer Question
I'd like to have a...
I want to set up a personal (private) cloud on my home network. I'd like to have a hard drive where I can store my entire iPhoto library and run Apple Photos app from there (no matter where I am in the world).
Is this possible? If so, what is the best solution/set-up. I have a Netgear Nighthawk wireless router. Can I just plug in an SSD hard drive and access it somehow remotely?
Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/6/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
The Photos app has it's own iCloud Library now you juts purchase the storage that you need to use it. Why would you run iPhoto and Photos at the same time?
Ok forget 'iPhoto". I don't want to store anything in the cloud. I want a personal cloud on a hard drive that I can access through my home network no matter where I am. I'd like to store my "Photos" library on this hard drive and not in the cloud.
Yes you can use a system like this:http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140
My question is: what is the best home/personal cloud set up? That's what I want to know.Thanks
That is a matter of opinion of course that model is the most used one one the market. Why don't you want to use the Apple iCloud?
Do you still need help?
Mike, Mac Medic