Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have over 170K photos on my hard drive. I have used Picasa

Customer Question

I have over 170K photos on my hard drive. I have used Picasa viewer for years with minimal problems. I just transferred my photos to a new raid drive and installed Picasa on a new mac. Picasa is not creating the thumbnails of the photos I have on the hard drive - it gets to about 14K (after many hours) then crashes and starts over... HELP!! these photos (and access to them) are critical to my work!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Close Picasa.Open Finder.Click the Go menu, then choose Go to Folder.Enter ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Picasa3 then click Go.Drag and drop the 'db3' folder into the trash.Open Picasa.Once you select the areas you'd like Picasa to scan, it will scan your photos to recreate your database.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that... still is not seeing all of the photos.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure how you moved your Picasa Library to the external drive. Did you do it this way?https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/uBut12ib-YY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. As the photos are contained in only one (of many) folders on the external hard drive (old) I had an IT tech simply copy the old external hard drive to the new Drobo hard drive array.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately you have to move the database with it. Can you get the database from the old Mac?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Option 21. From within Picass, move your photos folder to an external HDD2. Copy db3 and Picasa3Album folders found in /Users/"UserName"/Library/Application Support/Google/Picasa3 to a temp folder on your MacBook and "USB Drive"3. Copy db3 and Picasa3Album folder of your iMac to a temp folder on your iMac4. Copy the db3 and Picasa3Album from USB Drive to /Users/"UserName"/Library/Application Support/Google/Picasa3 on iMac5. Run Picasa and see if it is recognizing the photos on your HDD (I assume you have HDD connected to iMac) and whether you can see your Albums and edits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. Can I uninstall Picasa from my new mac without disturbing the folders that I have posted on the web? I can then re-install new Picasa and force it to read the photos on the Drobo. (build a new database)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You have to do it the way I posted
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
From the old Mac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Old mac is gone.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Picasa is really just a database so without that old data I don't know sorry. I'll opt out
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In Picasa go to File / Add Folder to Picasa and then choose your external drive location
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That should re-cataloge your photos