Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My imac suddenly stopped working...when trying to reboot,

Customer Question
got a circle with a...
my imac suddenly stopped working...when trying to reboot, got a circle with a slash thru it. I've tried several things to get past it. The latest is Command-R at boot time. The circle/slash is gone, but the black progress bar which was moving very slowly
now has stopped mid-way. I put the original Snow Leopard install disk in the imac at boot time but I don't hear anything.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
5/3/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Computer Engineer
The most likely causes of this problem and their solutions are: 1. Problem with the computer's PRAM - See Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.2. Boot drive's directory has been corrupted - Repair with Disk Utility.3. Critical system files are damaged or deleted - Reinstall OS X.4. The disk drive is physically non-functional - Replace the hard drive.
Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X. The main difference if you are using Lion or Mountain Lion is that you must first boot from the Recovery HD: Boot From The Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button. Reinstall Snow Leopard Without Erasing The drive 1. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X. 2. Reinstall Snow Leopard If the drive is OK then quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with reinstalling OS X. Note that the Snow Leopard installer will not erase your drive or disturb your files. After installing a fresh copy of OS X the installer will move your Home folder, third-party applications, support items, and network preferences into the newly installed system. Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. Reinstalling Lion/Mountain Lion Without Erasing The Drive Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows. When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Continue button.
On the 'Install Mac OS X' splash screen it indicates to "select the disk where you want to install Max OS X". at the bottom right, it indicates 'examining available disks' and the icon is spinning....and spinning...and I heard noises from the imac like something was going on...but nothing is showing up in the box...the noises have stopped and the icon is still spinning...
Ok, then it would appear that the disk drive is non-functioning and you will need to replace the hard drive.
Pete, Computer Engineer