Mac

I can see my iPhoto thumbnails of images, but when I click…

Customer Question
I can see my iPhoto...
I can see my iPhoto thumbnails of images, but when I click on the thumbnail to view the file, I see a black screen with a Gray Triangle Exclamation Point. If I try to export the file, I get a message that says it cannot find the original file. My iPhoto Library shows its full 14 Gb size, but I can't seem to access the... Read full answer
I can see my iPhoto thumbnails of images, but when I click on the thumbnail to view the file, I see a black screen with a Gray Triangle Exclamation Point. If I try to export the file, I get a message that says it cannot find the original file. My iPhoto Library shows its full 14 Gb size, but I can't seem to access the original image files. Any ideas? Thx!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/13/2015
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Apple Consultant replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Apple Consultant
Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

If none of the prior options worked, you should next try rebuilding your iPhoto Library with the “iPhoto Library Manager“ available from here:

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

You shouldn’t need to buy it, just use the trial version.

1. Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
2. Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library.
3. Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go up to the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose the Library > Rebuild Library menu option
4. In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
5. Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

More help on using this utility can be found here:
http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
i have an iPhoto library containing(or contained) in which
i have an iPhoto library containing(or contained) in which when I open that library the thumbnails appears as empty squares when I try to open them I get a black triangle with an exclamation point. I … read more
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack
I need help sorting out my iPhoto libraries.I have a number
I need help sorting out my iPhoto libraries. I have a number of libraries from some failed attempts at upgrades when I moved to iPhoto '11. I want to consolidate all the libraries and delete what is g… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Im getting just a black screen in the iPhoto viewer area when Read mo
Im getting just a black screen in the iPhoto viewer area when I try to view or edit a single picture. All thumbnails display correctly and I can open the photos normally in finder.… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
Hi! I was copying my iphoto library from one EHD to another.
Hi! I was copying my iphoto library from one EHD to another. It took 2-3 hours and near the end (15 minutes remaining) I got an error message and now I can't open photos on either of the EHDs. I can s… read more
HI. i am getting the message that my start up disk is almost
HI. i am getting the message that my start up disk is almost full, please remove files. I think my problem has been my iphoto. i have far too many pictures. i then bought a storage unit (don't know wh… read more
Apple Consultant,
Two Decades Field Experience
I worked on a set of pictures. Then all of a sudden, one
I worked on a set of pictures. Then all of a sudden, one picture reproduced itself about a thousand times! That was followed by another problem: while I could see the slides, when I clicked on them (t… read more
CompExpert
CompExpert
Computer Support Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Sorry I had a response prob with firefox. My iPhotos thumbnails
Sorry I had a response prob with firefox. My iPhotos thumbnails are there but will not expand onto the screen. Have done backup and rebuilt the library from the folder reimported onto my desktop. Have… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
My iphoto is showing the pictures and videos I took on a
my iphoto is showing the pictures and videos I took on a recent trip to Korea, but when I try to sync the items back to my phone - they are not showing up. I also can't see enlarged images of them, li… read more
Multiple problems with IPhoto. Some photos only visible as
Multiple problems with IPhoto. Some photos only visible as thumbnails, none of the editing tools work, gray triangle with exclamation point displays for some photos. I have updated and recently instal… read more
I can see my thumbnails of some photos but when I double click
I can see my thumbnails of some photos but when I double click them to edit or view larger I get a large black circle with an Exclamation point in it.… read more
As I was trying to back up photos I accidentally deleted 6
As I was trying to back up photos I accidentally deleted 6 years worth. They seem to all be in a folder that was in my trash that I've dragged out of the trash. When I go to iPhoto I only see thumbnai… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
What causes the warning image (triangle with exclamation point)
What causes the warning image (triangle with exclamation point) to appear on some of my pictures after I have edited them and then try to open them as full screen images?… read more
iteachmac
iteachmac
Electrician / Programmer / Sound design,
Stop searching for answers—
I use I photo a lot. When I have my pictures on my mac, they
I use I photo a lot. When I have my pictures on my mac, they look crystal clear. When I burn them to a dvd and send elsewhere, they are fuzzy. In full view, the pixels are large and make the photo fra… read more
Mac Genius,
Hi, System details iMac 9,1 , Intel core 2 duo . Mac
Hi, System details : iMac 9,1 , Intel core 2 duo . Mac OSX 10.5.8 I have an event in iPhoto that I have restored from my iPhoto "trash" file. It contains 89 items. I can see 89 thumbnails, but when cl… read more
When I look at my thumnails in iphoto I can see my entire library,
When I look at my thumnails in iphoto I can see my entire library, but when I want to open some of my photos I get a big grey box with an explanation point in the middle of it. This seems to be random… read more
Hi. Im having a problem with iPhoto. When I click on a picture,
Hi. I'm having a problem with iPhoto. When I click on a picture, only a question mark shows up and I can't drag it on to the desktop or into a folder.… read more
I have my iphoto library on an external hard drive. today,
I have my iphoto library on an external hard drive. today, I plugged it in, to import a new batch of photos. As I was importing the new photos, a box popped up that said 'rebuilding thumbnails'. I tho… read more
Tom
Tom
3 years college
My external harddrive was yanked out of the firewire port rather
My external harddrive was yanked out of the firewire port rather than ejected. I was working on project in iPhoto at the time. Now I can no longer pull up photos in iPhoto. The thumbnails have disappe… read more
The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer