Mac

My Thunderbird will not open. I keep getting a 'Mozilla Crash…

My Thunderbird will not open...
My Thunderbird will not open. I keep getting a 'Mozilla Crash Report' window that just says 'we're sorry'. No matter if I quit and restart, It just won't open. Help Please.... Read full answer
My Thunderbird will not open. I keep getting a 'Mozilla Crash Report' window that just says 'we're sorry'. No matter if I quit and restart, It just won't open. Help Please.
1/12/2015
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
Are you using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8? Would you like me to set up a quick remote session (at no extra charge), which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with the issue?
Keep me posted.
I'm on Mac and yes a remote session would be good
Hmm, I see. Let me forward your question to our other Mac experts now. You will be automatically notified (by email) when another expert picks this up.
Thank you.
ok thanks
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Would you like me to remotely fix it for you ? The remote service is an additional $20. I will fix the issue for you and if I couldn't solve your problem, then you will get refund.
Or I can give you instructions in here to solve your problem (no extra charge). Let me know which one you prefer.
Since I am not at my home office this afternoon, please send the instructions so I can try fixing it tonight. If that doesn't work I will reply again tomorrow morning. Thanks, Jean
Jean, First boot Thunderbird into Safe Mode and delete the emails from drafts or outbox that have big attachments or delete some recently sent/received emails. To boot into Safe Mode, goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Terminal.
Then copy and paste this command to Terminal (or write in terminal) ---> /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -safe-mode
After deleting the emails from draft or outbox, restart Thunderbird normally.
If that didn't work, then goto Applications folder and trash Thunderbird application. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User account. Open the Caches folder and trash the Thunderbird or any folder related to Thunderbird from there. Go back and open Preferences folder. Trash org.mozilla.thunderbird.plist and its .lock file.
Then download and install Thunderbird from here : https://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-31.3.0&os=osx&lang=en-US
Open it. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Thanks, ***** ***** follow these steps and reply later...
No problem
Ok Ashik, neither of those processes worked. I still get the same crash window. thoughts?
Sorry for the delay. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Thunderbird. Do you see Profile Manager ?
I believe the profile of your Firefox has corrupted. Open Terminal and enter this command --> /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -profilemanager
This will open Profile Manager. Create a new profile there and set it as default. Then open it. Does Thunderbird open now ? (it should be blank)
It finally opened after I figured out what the prompts were asking me for, duh. So now how do I retrieve my contacts and past messages?it just crashed again.I switched from IMAP to POP because I think that is how it was set years ago.
The problem is with the old profile. It might be corrupted. But we can try to fix it first.
Open Terminal and enter this command --> /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin -profilemanager
In the Profile Manager, set the old profile as default (note down its name too). Close it.
Open Terminal again. Type cd /Users/YOUR NAME COMES HERE/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default
Replace xxxx with the profile's name you noted down eariler. Press return
Type rm -f .parentlock
Hit return again. Did that work ?
Actuallly I clicked on restart in the crash window and it opened again loading a lot of emails, but then crashes again. This has happend a few times now, so should i go ahead and follow you above instructions?
Yes, do it and let me know.
I'm confused about the process. It says there is no file by that name so I'm doing something wrong. What name goes in the Your name comes here and what goes in the xxxxxxs? Maybe you should take control by remote?
Enter the name of your home folder for " Your name comes here" and enter the name of the profile for xxxxx that you can see on the Profile Manager of Thunderbird.
All I get is a message in the Terminal saying no such file or directory and I have tried multiple names.
Does Thunderbird opens in new profile ?
let me try
Ok
yes but then crashes
Goto Macintosh HD > Library > Internet Plugins folder and what files do you see there ?
Also, hold down Shift key and open Thunderbird. Does it open ?
I see nothing relating to thunderbird in Internet Plug-ins and when I hold down the shift key and launch Thunderbird it opens in the new profile but then crashes againYou know everything was working when I shut down my computer when I left for the holidays Dec 21. When I came back on the 29th and turned the computer on Thunderbird was not working. just an fyi
I'm getting out of ideas. Trash all files in the Internet Plugins folder. Then hold down Option, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files from there too.
Then trash Thunderbird from Applications folder and redownload a new version from here : https://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-31.3.0&os=osx&lang=en-US
Any luck ?
Yes it opened but it's in the new profile and does not appear to be loading more than the initial load from awhile back. Should I try reverting to the old profile
Yes, try it and you deleted everything from the Internet Plugins folder. Right ?
yes, about the plug-ins in both locations. back in a sec
Try this too. Turn off WiFi or disconnect ethernet (if wired) and turn on Thunderbird. Still crashing ?
OMG it came back!!!! Don't leave me yet. I want to try closing and opening again
Try it. I read that some internet plugins especially facebook plugin have some problem with Thunderbird. If it happens again, delete the internet plugin (facebook plugin) and try Thunderbird.
Ok, it's working. And Ashik, you taught me something today. Thank you!
Glad you it worked and You're most welcome :)
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, I thought I had lost my late husband's emails from years ago. I have used Thunderbird for 10 years or so. Love the sort option!!!. I'm so grateful for your help!
Have a great 2015!
Jean
My pleasure Jean. Please come back again if you need our help.
You too have a great and fantastic 2015,
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Iphoto won't open, says it is either in use by another
Iphoto won't open, says it is either in use by another application or has become unreadable. " If the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it w… read more
Mac Technician,
Mike, the latest versions of TB crash on start-up. I cant get
Mike, the latest versions of TB crash on start-up. I cant get it to start up on Safe Mode. Running 10.10.2 OS and TB 31.5 - I can't find any solutions on the Mozilla site? Thanks Rob… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
MOVE AOL EMAIL TO OUTLOOK to allow search of archives
I am a victim of the archive search bug which will not let me search the achives and I just spoke with AOL tech who said I'm S.O.L. I need exact instructions on how to MOVE (COPY) all of my AOL emails… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
Stop searching for answers—
I am using Word for Mac and saving documents as docs. Word
I am using Word for Mac and saving documents as docs. Word keeps "crashing", ie the coloured circle just keeps rotating for ever and I have to force quit. It happens especially when I am trying to ins… read more
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack
For the last month I have made multiple attempts to download
For the last month I have made multiple attempts to download Google Earth on my MacBook Pro running OS 10.7.4, where Google Earth either does not respond or it crashes. Either way I get no messages to… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Thunderbird will not save messages or copy them to sent folder
Thunderbird will not save messages or copy them to sent folder during writing mails and after sending them, and Thunderbird keeps crashing in the middle of writing mails, very frustrating!!… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My safari is not working properly-it tells me that the application
My safari is not working properly-it tells me that the application safari quit unexpectedly.… read more
Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Apple Specialist,
Thunderbird crashes on start up - every time After a year
Thunderbird crashes on start up - every time After a year working smoothly, suddenly, Thunderbird 3.1.7 on MacOS 10.6.5 crashes on start up every time. No Mozilla Crash reporter appears. From the Appl… read more
Tom
Tom
3 years college
Is there a phone number that I can call for tech support I
Is there a phone number that I can call for tech support? I have been trying to solve my problem with Thunderbird for about 5 days with this system, and I have not been able to resolve it.… read more
OSXpert
OSXpert
Software Engineer,
All of a sudden every time I try to open Mozilla Thunderbird
All of a sudden every time I try to open Mozilla Thunderbird it crashes. The rest of the computer works fine, just cant open my emails. I have rebooted several times. I have closed all programs. I hav… read more
Joseph
Joseph
OSXpert
OSXpert
Software Engineer,
I want to downgrade to Thunderbird 2 for Mac because 3 crashes
I want to downgrade to Thunderbird 2 for Mac because 3 crashes at starup. Can find the Windows downgrade, but not Mac???… read more
loadedmind
loadedmind
Senior Systems Administrator,
Stop searching for answers—
Recently my AOL software, vs. 10.3.7, revision 4136.310 (I
Recently my AOL software, vs. 10.3.7, revision 4136.310 (I prefer to AOL.com) for my MacBook Pro, running OS 10.5.8 gives me a message window when I attempt to Quit. Says something like: Please wait, … read more
Mac Genius,
Im using for some time the thunderbird on iMac. Now the application
I'm using for some time the thunderbird on iMac. Now the application doesn't open. Instead of it, it appears a window saying: "the crash reporter is unable to submit a report for this crash. Details: … read more
Im having the same problem as below (Adobe Illustrator CS2,
I'm having the same problem as below (Adobe Illustrator CS2, won't open Apple OS10.6 was 10.4.11) but the link you provided doesn't open.… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
Updated to Mac OS 10.5.8 and to Thunderbird 3.0, worked fine
Updated to Mac OS 10.5.8 and to Thunderbird 3.0, worked fine for a few hours. Then, did more Apple updates, and after restart, Thunderbird would not open - giving me errors of either, "The application… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
Hi there I need help I think I have a bug or something . My
Hi there I need help I think I have a bug or something . My version 4.0.3 safari keeps quitting. I have a powerbook g4 version 10.4.11 It's doing our heads in please help!!!!!… read more
John P
John P
I used to be able to play online games (card and word games)
I used to be able to play online games (card and word games) in games.com using Safari, but now I may play one game or not even one and my Safari quits. I have sent several reports in. Is there anythi… read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,