Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My apple laptop will not accept my password. I cannot get into

it. Help...
My apple laptop will not accept my password. I cannot get into it. Help
11/19/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Are you using a wireless keyboard?

What version of OS X is on it?

Any detail as to what led up to this problem like software updates or upgrades will help.
No, latest ISO I am pretty sure .cant get in to verify,. Just tried to sign in and it would not accept any password
10.9? Mavericks?
If your keyboard is cabled then that makes it easier.
Shut it down and restart while holding Command+R to boot to the recovery drive.
Then select Utilities/Terminal and type 'resetpassword' all one word, no quotes.

Select your user and type in a password.
Then type 'reboot', no quotes.

That should do it, let me know.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Do not find utility/terminal to type resetpassword
Do not find utility/terminal to type resetpassword. I find disk utility but no place to type in resetpassword
First select OS X Utilites, then
At the top of the screen in a menu bar, under Utilities find Terminal.

Method 1 – Reset a Lost Mac OS X Password XXXXX Recovery Mode

Important: You have to boot from a Recovery drive for this to work, andthe Mac must be running OS X 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9. New Macs include a native recovery mode option through a boot partition, but a recovery disk or boot drive made yourself will work as well.

• Hold “Option” at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • Wait for “Mac OS X Utilities” menu to appear, indicating that you are booted into recovery mode
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu and select “Terminal”

Launch Terminal from Mac OS X Recovery Menu

• Type the following:
  • resetpassword

• Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX and reboot Mac OS X as usual with your new password

This replaces the “Reset Password” menu item that used to be in place prior to OS X , which was around in Snow Leopard and before, and one of two original methods of resetting a forgotten password XXXXX more technical ways. Why the change to the Terminal method with newer versions of Mac OS? Probably for increased security, particularly now that recovery partitions are standard with Macs.

The above method is by far the easiest.

Try that.

Daniel, Mac Genius