Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Time Capsule cannot be found by air port utility. If I do

a hard or full factory...
My Time Capsule cannot be found by air port utility. If I do a hard or full factory reset then it becomes visible but as soon as I set the TC up it disappears again.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2013
Mike, Mac Medic
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I need some information to get started on your question.

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Hi Mike,

Version is 10.6.8

Thanks

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Hi again,

All done. Permissions repair complete.

Just realised I didn't fully respond to your earlier question.

Memory on my macbook pro is 4Gb - processor is a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo.

Thanks

Was Verify Disk also ok? If so open Airport Utility and go to About Airport Utility. What is the version number? And also what model Time Capsule is it?

Yep verify disk was ok.

Airport Utility version is 5.6.1

TC is a 1Tb model. Description on unit (if it helps) is A1355.

It was purchased late Dec 2010

See if this firmware update was installed already:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1481

Updated to that firmware this morning - was successful

OK did you hard reset after that?

Sure did...

OK was it set to WPA2 and the SSID is broadcast? That would be wireless options and check box for "create a closed network" is not checked? Is it plugged into your internet router through Ethernet?

It is set to WPA2 (personal) and the SSID is broadcast. My TC us plugged into my D-Link router through an ethernet cable.

If you open the Time Machine Preference pane does it show up there?

Only after I do a hard or full factory reset. Once I do that and go through configuring the TC, as soon as it re-starts it can't be found again.

TC doesn't appear if I only do a soft reset

Is the light green or amber after setup and restart?

Flashing amber

OK then something is wrong with the setup it should be green. So you also don't see the SSID under the Airport icon at the top of your screen?

It was green until a week or so ago and has been amber ever since.

I can see my SSID under the airport icon - the network seems to be working fine (as fine as it can in NZ)

Weird ok so your Internet router is DSL and it does not have WiFi correct? You are just using the WiFi from the Time Capsule and that works fine? If so you may have to reformat the drive see directions here after you reset it to erase the drive and Zero Out the data. Then try setting it up again

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_erase_reformat_apple_time_capsule/

Sorry Mike...

Our internet router is WiFi and the SSID is broadcasting fine. Previously, the TC was broadcasting a separate SSID but no longer.

Should I still do the reformat?

Oh I see then you don't need both to be on which do you want to use for Internet access through WiFi? I suggest you only use one or the other for WiFi and turn it off on the other device. Probably using the TC would be best.
Mike, Mac Medic

Hi Mike,

Sorry for delay, had to sign off yesterday.

I don't know how to turn WiFi off from the router but did so on the TC and it worked!

Thanks so much for all your help, really appreciate it.

Cheers

Cliff

OK great I figured one or the other would work not two. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic