Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi John, I bought and downloaded a Christmas album. I had a

Hi John, I bought and...

Hi John, I bought and downloaded a Christmas album. I have a screen that shows the list of songs.

1. If I hit Select All, can I drag the list to the iTunes app?

2. If I do that , will the album title also automatically go along and get listed in with my albums?

Thanks,

Holly

11/16/2013
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Rachel

Thank you!

John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello, Holly!

Where did you download this album from?

Hi John,

Got it from the group's website via their email offer which I clicked on:

Group is: Straight No Chaser. They're awesome. A Capella fm Indiana University.

Holly

Thanks Holly,

If the individual songs are in mp3 or m4a format then you can drag them into the iTunes window, from the Finder, to import them in most cases. Assuming the songs are encoded properly with track information then iTunes should be able to read all the song and album information.

John T. F., Mac Druid

Hmmm,

I just noticed the Christmas Album question was Free to me.

You're my favorite Mac Expert b/c you're knowledgeable and you communicate so well. so, I'd like to keep choosing you when I have questions.

BUT- I don't want you to not get paid. That's not fair and as you know, I have an unlimited subscr so it already doesn't cost me anything per question.
1. Will JA still pay you even tho it says Free on my side?

2. If JA isn't paying you, what method can I use to ask you a question so you can get paid?

3. I hope the JA screeners don't mind that I'm asking you this.

Holly

Hi Holly,

I believe it merely shows free to you because you are a subscriber. I just double checked and I *did* get credited for this question and I've never had trouble with any of your previous questions so I think everything is as it's meant to be.

Thanks you VERY much for the kind words. I don't know everything but I try and am not afraid of a little research when the need arises. Wink

As always, you can submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

If you also mention my name in the title or question itself then it should be left for me even when the exclusive request timer runs out. Of course, I check in every day but my hours are odd so some days my answer may come a bit late but I always get to them. :-)

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the link to your profile page.

Holly

Hi John,--
Christmas songs - and album title got into iTunes just fine. I looked at my album titles and they're a mess. Seem to be organized by artist instead of album title. And many repeat, probably b/c I hv several songs fm that album.
1. I think the album titles should be in alpha order; now they're in order by artist name.
2. I'd like them to appear once per album title, not repeated.
Can I do these things?
thanks, Holly

PS- I put this question on the link to your personal profile page and put it in the box under your pic. I didn't think it could be read by other experts. But someone else jumped in on it! I took it out, cut and pasted it here.

His response to me was formatted as if I'm a pay per question person.

I don't think JA likes these threads to go on and on, but it seemed the only way to reach you.

Holly

Hmmm, normally I get an email notification that I've been exclusively requested on a new question as well and I did not so I'm not sure what is going on there.

What view are you using in iTunes? (You should see a toolbar near the top - Songs, Albums, Artists, Genres, etc...

Yes, I see that toolbar.

Okay good.

So, which view is it that you are using?

If you are looking at the "Albums" view then, by default it will sort first by Artist and then by album Title. It does this so all albums are grouped together by the same artist.

If you want to change this in iTunes:

go up to the menu bar at the top of the screen and select "View"

Then select "Show View Options".

You should be able to sort by Title first.

Once we get that sorted then we can move on to the second issue.

OK, got the album titles in alpha order, plus now I know how to switch back to listing by artist.

Now, is there a way to have album shown just once? Maybe that isn't important, it just seems so redundant, but I guess it's b/c the album is shown for each time there's a song from it.

If I want to show each album title once, is there a way to do that?

Holly

Is this under Album view, as well?

It should only show a single album cover for each album.

HOWEVER; iTunes can get confused, for example, if there is more than one artist on a single album. If this is the case then you must make each track "Part of a compilation".

Control-click on the the song and choose "Get Info"

Select the "Info" tab

Place a check mark next to "Part of a compilation".

Once you do that for every song on the album then they should be grouped under a single album cover.

If multiple artists is NOT the issue then it can get rather complicated. You may want to take a look at this page and we'll walk through the issue further:

http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp

It can be a lot to digest so if you have the slightest question then feel free to ask!

Doesn't sound worth the bother. I know for sure two are "single artist" b/c they're books, each one by one author. But there's still a bunch of album covers for each book's chapters. I think I got them before the iBook app came along.

All those album covers showing ... it just seems so messy for something designed by Apple.

They should have made it so one album cover shows. Then, when you hover over it, all the songs fm that album in the music library would be listed. Like an album in iPhoto.

Just sayin...

Actually that *should* be the way it works for you... You click on an album cover and it then reveals the songs belonging to it:

graphic

It really depends on how songs are tagged though, which isn't done by Apple.

John T. F., Mac Druid
As a follow up, if you have a lot of trouble with this then we could set aside some time one evening and I could log in via remote to look at the most troublesome examples of this issue.

Really? - the log in via remote. Ok, that would be good, if you don't mind. After Thanksgiving... early December sometime.

And ... I can get the sample like what you sent... clicking on the album cover and the songs appear. I just don't get why the album cover appears more than once then.

And, some don't have cover art. I realize some just don't have it available on iTunes. But, Adele 19 or XXXXX XXXXX Duet II ... Really? I have the cover for Adele 21 so it's not like apple didn't get the contract for the Adele cover art.

I thought there used to be an option in the dropdowns in the tool bar for Find Cover Art, but I don't see that anymore.

I'm going to put a question on your personal page so this thread doesn't get out of control

Holly

Hi Holly!

Early December would be fine!

In regard to the album artwork.

You can reach that option two different ways

1) Control-Click on the album or song and choose "Get Album Artwork" from the context menu

2) Select the album or song then click File > Library > Get Album Artwork" from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

John T. F., Mac Druid

whole new question...

I tried to post this directly on your page. When I do, it seems to be set up only for pay by the question customers and wants some $ to continue, even tho I am accessing your page from this thread, so it should be under my account.

so, have to put it here:

I would like to add another city to my weather widgets on my MacBookPro. when I click on the Weather widget icon, only Cupertino's weather comes up.

It's so easy w the weather icon on my phone. Needs to be that way on laptop.

Thanks,

Holly

Hmmm, I'll have to remember to ask JA tomorrow about subscription customers submitting questions via an Expert's profile. I'm pretty sure this was not a problem previously.

Are you referring to the Weather widget in the Dashboard? ... and you are wanting to have it provide data on a different city, instead of Cupertino, correct?

Open Dashboard

Move the pointer over the Weather widget. A small info button (i) should reveal itself in one corner.

Click the Info (i) button to see the settings you can change.

For the Weather widget you should be able to enter a city, state, or zip code;

click Done.

John T. F., Mac Druid

On my iPhone5, map app-- I used it in IN- used the verbal part. Then drove to OH. Used the app at night- it goes to darker color- for night, I guess- but the verbal part didn't work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Holly

PS- something is wrong w JA site. I can only ask questions this way. I can't ask under Ask A Question page-- it asks me for $. I sent email to JA telling them. So Annoying!

Hi!

I've submitted this issue before when you mentioned it. I'll do so again.

So it worked but not when in night mode?

I think current issue is even worse. I just plain can't ask questions except at the bottom of a thread.

Yes, map app talked during the day, but not at night. Is it also supposed to look different at night? It's darker

Yes. Apple Maps has a night mode under iOS 7 where the user interface becomes darker in the evening/ low light conditions.

Are you able to reproduce the issue?

Reproduce-- i just tried it on my front porch- lights out.

It gave the first direction verbally. Of course, since I wasn't driving, it couldn't give me the next direction. I also noticed some more options at the bottom of the screen that I didn't see the other night in OH.

I'd say I must have done something wrong in OH that I did correctly here at home.

I'll try to be more mindful when I use it next time at night to see if there's anything different.

I'd say it's OK for now.

You can smiley faces. done for now on this question.

thanks,

Holly

Ok. It could have been a fluke. I don't believe there are any differences in verbal feedback while in night mode. I'm not even sure the mute switch would effect it.

I'm in Ohio myself. You might have driven right by me. ;)

John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid