Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Quark 6.5 crashes upon opening for last couple of months. Upon

Customer Question
reopening and reopening and reopening...
Quark 6.5 crashes upon opening for last couple of months. Upon reopening and reopening and reopening it finally opens.
I'm using OSX 10.4.11
Nothing has changed for past year regarding software/hardware.
But now Quark 6.5 is unstable.
I don't want to remove the .plist or Quark folder in system, etc., since I have to reestablish preferences and print styles, etc., each time I replace these.
Any idea what is cause?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
11/15/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 4 years ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Before I suggest anything , Id like to ask some questions to get a better idea of the background of this issue.

To be clear, your saying if you remove the Plist file and prefs, it fixes the issue.

But you have to do this almost everyday, because the issue keeps returning?

Correct. The only solution I've been able to find on the net is to remove the Quark folder from /library/preferences and the com.quark.QuarkXPress.plist file from /users/ME/library/preferences

Then Quark will launch. But I then have to re-establish my preferences, print styles, etc., etc. every time.

The next time I launch Quark I have to do this again.

BUT...sometimes...if I start up Quark and continue to try to launch and re-open and re-open, many, many times...Quark will finally hit it right and launch. A pain and can take five, ten, twenty or more tries.

Ok Larry, We may have to perform a few steps to try and isolate the issue further , or repair it.. But Id like to start here if we could.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once complete, id like you to try starting your mac in safe mode, and then trying Quark and monitoring what happens. .Heres how to start in safe mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

( basically your just holding down the left shift key, when you very first start the computer )

Once your in safe mode, does quark still behave the same way ?

and please dont consider the above an absolute fix, you and I will probably need to conversate back and forth for a bit to work through the issue and resolve it.. So please reply if you need any assistance with the steps above, or when you have some data from the test I suggested above.

D.S

So. Starting in safe boot works. Quark launches no problem.

Seems like my problem is with Suitcase.

I reopened normally and quit Suitcases, which opens upon startup.

Upon restart with Suitcases not opening Quark launches properly.

Not every time however, but almost every other time. Go figure.

Perhaps I introduced some font problem in the last couple of months with a new font that a client sent to me. Don't recall. Have been using Quark for years and nothing much has changed on my G5 since Apple no longer updates OSX 10.4.11.

Summarizing, Quark opens almost every time with Suitcases not open.

Quark, however, does not open every time.

What do you suggest from here?

Sounds like were making some progress, but we should be able to make a bit more. Im not 100 percent of what exact direction to go in, as there are still a lot of variables that may be affecting the issue.. You mentioned a possible font issue.

Lets try to remove your font caches in the Application font caches folder.. The page below has a long winded discussion about it.

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html#howtohandlefontcaches

Yuo will want to scoll down to the how to handle font caches section.. Then scroll down further in that section until you see steps 1 and 2 that show how to clear your font cache files..

Once thats done, we need to restart the computer immediately.. And then test Quark again..

D.S

Hi. I've finished reading the font cache discussion pages. Twice.

I'm getting into Font Finagler and will work with Suitcases to hopefully solve my problem.

I'll get back to you when this has been done with results info.

You'll probably be asleep by then (LOL) so we'll be in touch tomorrow.

Unless you are a night owl.

Thanks...Larry Winer

I may be asleep Larry, I may be awake as im trying to burn my over stock of midnight oil tonight..

It wont hurt to send a reply if you need or want to tonight, if Im still up, I will reply within 15 minutes.. If i dont reply in that time frame, It would probably be in the morning when I read and replied to your message.

Dustin S.

Hi Dustin,

I ran Font Finagler to clean out font caches.

With Suitcases off I can launch Quark, but not every time. But launches within three or four tries.

Then, when Quark is open, I open Suitcases and am ready to go.

That is better than before. But that's not right. Just better.

Any ideas.

Larry Winer

This may not work, but it could.. Have you tried deleting Suitcases preferences and plist file.. I know you mentioned quark.. But not suitcase itself..

If not, its worth a shot as well Larry.. Can you follow through the second post on the page below.

http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/295910-extensis-suitcase-crashes-startup.html

Then restart the mac and test Quark again.. Let me know what happens whe you can.

D.S

Hi Dustin,

I've deleted the Suitcase preferences and .plist. That required reloading fonts. Also ran Font Finagler once more.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, Quark opens almost every time with or without Suitcases open. Not every time but almost.

That seems to be the best at this point.

Any further ideas.

Larry

We could keep working on this Larry, Ive no issue with that.. And we dont have to complete the session in one day..

I would suggest at this point, with the repairs weve done..That removing Quarks preferences one last time may help.. ( we shouldnt have to remove them daily, but now that weve completed other repairs, it wouldnt hurt to try )

if your happy with where were at, then im happy.. If you feel like rating and parting ways t hats fine with me.

However, its also fine with me if you want to keep digging at this issue.. Either way Im going to be working on something.. ( though it is getting a bit late tonight)

Dustin S.
Well I removed Quark prefs and plist and had to then reinstall. Then reactivate. Quark started on4th try. Then suitcase new conflict appeared. Dealing with that. Back to where I started but now a little different/messier. I'm not a happy camper.
Understood.. And im sorry that removing the preferences made the situation worse.. Thats a sign that the steps we took earlier defnitely improved the situation..
We should be able to get back to where we were before the quark preferences were removed..

The Suitcase new conflict ? Whats the message or issue your getting?

And have you restarted the mac since removing the prefs and reinstalling quark?

I'm working on it.

Understood.. Take your time.. ( and we may need to work over the steps we went over previously , to restore everything to the state it was.. )

Im not t rying to rush you or annoy you, its policy that As long as Im signed into work, I reply as quickly as possible to every message you send.

D.S

I'm back to where I started. Quark launches after several tries. Better with Suitcases off. Then turned back on.

I'm done for tonight.

Mac Support Specialist: Lindie-mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Lindie-mod

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Lindie

I'm done, thank you. And I'm not satisfied with the service.

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist