Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How do I reinstate AOL on my iMac which just had a new hard

drive installed?...
How do I reinstate AOL on my iMac which just had a new hard drive installed?
11/14/2013
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert

I can explain how to download and install the AOL program on your iMac. Will this be ok?

Thanks,

J.

Yes, and I need it to include my previous list of email addresses

Thank you.

I'm providing you with a direct link to the Mac AOL program:

http://daol.aol.com/software/mac

Click the link and run the file when asked - this will install the AOL program for you. Once it is installed, you will sign in with your AOL user and password, and will have access to your email, contacts, etc.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
I clicked on the link to download aol, but screen came up blank

I'd like to start a remote support session with you. This mean I'll be able to look at your screen together with you, and help you personally.

Would that be ok with you?

Appreciated!

J.
Yes
Thank you.

Please click here to start.

Important - if we are NOT connected within 5 minutes, something is NOT working right.
Please come back to justanswer.com and let me know - we will try something else!

Thanks,

J.
I still do not have access to aol on iMac. What do you want me to do next?
I am not sure how to proceed with this case, so I will forward the question back to the expert pool. As soon as another expert picks up the question, you will be notified.

Sorry I couldn't resolve your issue!

J.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,
Osx version 10.9
Thanks!

How did you access AOL Mail previously? Was it through the "AOL Desktop" software or was it set up in the OS X Mail app?

Sorry I do not know
Ok.

In that case, please describe the steps you used to take in order to access your AOL email.

Thanks,
I clicked on the "stamp" and aol would come up with my emails.
Great!

That's the OS X Mail application.

If "Mail" is currently running please quit the Application.

Click the Apple Logo in the menu bar at the top of the screen

Select "System Preferences"

click "Internet Accounts"

from the list at the right side of the window, scroll down and choose AOL.

It will ask you for your name, email address and password.

Enter the information and then click "Set Up".

OS X will automatically configure your account for you and you can then use Mail to access your AOL mail, as you used to do, once it has finished.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further
. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

I rebooted and my emails come up

Howerver, how do I retrieve my address book?
Great!

In Mail,

go up to the menu bar at the very top of the screen and click "Window" and then choose "Address Panel". You should see your contacts there.

If the Address Book was previously stored on iCloud, however, then you will need to sign in with your Apple ID and password XXXXX follows:

Select "System Preferences"

click "iCloud"

then Sign in.

the address panel is not shown under Windows. Do I go into iCloud?

I do not believe it was on iCloud originally.

To clarify, you must be in the Mail app in order to see the Address Panel under "Windows".

So, if the menu bar does not say "Mail" next to the Apple logo then you won't find it.

I went to Address Panel but my old address book does not come up. I

Do you remember how you accessed your address book previously?

Yes,

I clicked on "to" and it came up

Not happening now
Ok,

Select "System Preferences"

click "Internet Accounts"

Select the AOL account you created previously from the list at the left side.

On the right side, does it list Contacts syncing?

No, it does not list Contacts synching

Okay,

when you sign into the AOL website at http://www.aol.com do you see your address book contacts under Mail?

yes

if i go to the aol site, my address book shows up.

How do I get this format and address book to come up when I click on the stamp

To clarify, when you say "format" do you mean accessing the mail account itself as well or JUST getting your contacts moved over?

By format I mean GUI which is much better than the one I get when clicking on the stamp.

My big problem right now is getting to my address book when I click on the stamp

Okay, if you want to use webmail access in order to use the GUI then you should NOT use Mail at all. In that case, you should simply use Safari to access AOL web mail.

You can book mark the following link:
http://mail.aol.com/

...or you can even set it up as the default page for Safari.

Open Safari

click on "Safari" in the menu bar at the top of the screen and chose Preferences

On the "General" tab, locate the entry box for "Homepage" and type in

http://mail.aol.com/

Then, change "New windows open with" to "Homepage"

Close Safari.

Now, when you open a new Safari window, it will open to the AOL web Mail. Otherwise you can just use it as a bookmark as previously mentioned.

No problem about being in good standing

I have to follow your last email tomorrow night.

thanks for sticking with me
You are very welcome!

Reply back any time for further assistance. When the current issue has been resolved to your satisfaction, just remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again by name at any time when you come back to ask a new Apple-related question. You can submit new questions directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John,

Thank you very much for your patience and staying with it until I got what I needed. I could not conclude things until now.

Fred

You are very welcome! I was glad to assist.

If the current issue has been resolved to your satisfaction, please remember to rate me accordingly when you get a moment.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid