James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

Ive tried disconnecting from AoL several times because of

Customer Question

I've tried disconnecting from AoL several times because of spam coming from my account. Thought I was clear of them and it keeps happening
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

When is the last time you changed your AOL password?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A few weeks ago when my aol account sent out a spam message. At that point I tried to disconnect from them, but clearly didn't succeed

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Can you please try to sign into your AOL account, and tell me if that works?

Also - in your Sent Items folder - do you see any of the spam mail that was sent?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm in and there are a ton of messages sent this morning at 1am and from October 6, when this happened before and I went through what I thought was disconnecting

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Very good - thank you.

This means someone else has hacked into your account and is sending those messages.

Please change your password XXXXX now, and make a tough one to guess (long and complex).

This will stop the problem immediately.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have changed the password XXXXX in the last month and I would like to no have an aol account. How do I DISCONNECT?

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

Cancel your free AOL account

1. Sign in to My Account with your master Username and password.

2. Answer the Account Security Question and click Continue.

3. Select Change My AOL Plan.

4. Under your current subscription or at the bottom of the page, click CANCEL PLAN.

5. Review the confirmation page. If you still want to cancel your free AOL account, select a reason for canceling from the drop-down menu and then click CANCEL AOL (Click Keep My Plan if you changed your mind).

Many thanks,

James.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, but that is the procedure I followed in early October and obviously it didn't take. How will this time be different?

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

This procedure works - there's no way around it.
I think you may have missed the last step to approve the account.

Go ahead and do that, and then try to sign into the account - can you still sign into it after cancelling it?

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did exactly the same thing, so I hope it works.

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Try to sign into your account - are you able to, or do you get an error that the user/password are incorrect?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got in and tried to answer an email that someone responded to from the spam and it didn't go

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to start a remote support session with you. This mean I'll be able to look at your screen together with you, and help you personally.

Would that be ok with you?

Appreciated!

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anything!

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

Please click here to start.

Important - if we are NOT connected within 5 minutes, something is NOT working right.
Please come back to justanswer.com and let me know - we will try something else!

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey James, sorry for the disconnect, just got word of a death in the family , AOL can wait.
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry!

It can certainly wait.