Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I accidentally wiped out my email account ([email protected])

when I hit "since the...
I accidentally wiped out my email account ([email protected]) when I hit "since the beginning" instead of "last four weeks" on the History screen. I used to get 30+ letters a day (plus all my special files, photos, etc.), now I get nothing, so apparently nothing is being forwarded from my old account. Question: how do I get my old account (not the new one,[email protected]) ??
11/10/2013
Jason Jones, Mac Technician

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Who is your e-mail provider (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc)?
-- When you type the full address on this site, it is blocked.
-- What comes after the @ sign?

Which program do you use to access your email (Outlook, Mac Mail, Entourage, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)?

my provider is Gmail. To access my email I just used the Chrome icon. I'll have to try accessing the site again to see what comes after the @ sign (can't do two screens at once). I have a MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.8

Thank you for the update.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? No extra charge.

yes

Thank you.

If you are using a PC, Internet Explorer works the best. If you are using a Mac, only Safari will work with this remote.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=5ee22200-6e4f-4bb3-ac33-cb5878c9d4bf

I've tried many times to join but nothing seems to work (4 different groups)

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

I hit on the link again, (Elsinore) and waited the 3 minutes to load. The loading signal is now off, but I don't know if it's running or not.

I am not connected.

Please, try another solution.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.

"join me" downloaded, I got an "unarchiving" signal, but when I tried opening the download I got nothing. No nine digit number. What do you mean, exactly, about "letting the app run"? What should I be doing after it downloads and Unarchives, which it's now done 3 times.

Okay.

You say that when you tried opening the download, you got nothing.

May I ask what that means?

the "downloading" icon disappears after the requisite wait (3 minutes for Elsinore, about 25 seconds for "join me", and the "unarchiving" signal runs for a second or two and then nothing. It doesn't go to a new screen; the download goes to the downloads file (I now have six today).

Thank you for the update.
When you go to the downloads window and double-click one of those applications, what happens?

it runs through some numbers and says it will open in 45 seconds, or so, the numbers bounce around but eventually gets down to 0 seconds, and then the download returns to exactly the way it was before I tried to open it. The unarchiving signal goes on with a new (5) number, then it's as though I hadn't done a thing

Open a finder window.

In the left pane, do you see the join.me item?

I can't even find a finder window.

Ok.

Click your desktop.

On the top menu, click Go > Downloads

on the downloads, there is a zipper icon, then the name of the download (with codes, but just in (5). On the finder the left panel has downloads with an arrow pointing to just in

Okay.

Double click the download and run it, please.

when I double click on join me (4) it just jumps down to the earlier join me with an added number (i.e. "join me" 4 (zip) goes to "join me" and adds the next number of downloads (now 9)

Put your mouse over Join me number 9 and double click it. What happens?

it unarchives then becomes join me(10)

Now there is a new file? That is confusing me.

I am sorry.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason

should I just wait for the new person?

Mike, Mac Medic
OK if you use your web browser and you go to gmail.com and sign in is all your email there?
Relist: Other.
I paid the deposit money, I spent about 2 hours with my expert, Jason, but finally he gave up and said he'd pass me on to another expert. Thus far, I haven't heard anything from Jason or the new person. What am I supposed to do?
I just asked you a question. Don't you see it?

I see it now, but I didn't get orange flag notice that you'd written. When I go to gmail, using my older account name, it automatically goes to the new one, which has only five or six notices, all from the two people I alerted to the problem. None of the usual mail, or even the usual spam has been forwarded to the new account, and I have no way of alerting my various correspondents because I have relied on gmail to do the responding and forwarding

If the account was not closed it should not go to a different account. Please use Safari and go to gmail.com and put in youer old email address and password. Let me know

Safari cannot find the server, says the Safari page.

Are you sure you typed it in correctly? gmail.com ?

when I hit the safari icon on my toolbar, I get the message above. It doesn't give me the chance to type it. The safari page doesn't open (can't find server .56)

OK just ignore that and typ gmail.com in the address bar at the top then hit Return

it goes immediately to the new account ([email protected]). I can get all five messages of this week instead of the 200 or so that are on my old account, somewhere out in space

Ok I can't see email addresses here, if you type in the old email address and password XXXXX gmail.com it would not go to a different account. If the account was closed or incorrect it would give you an error meesge not take you to a totally different account. What is the email address listed at the top right when you have logged in? Please just give me that part before gmail.com

when I type gmail.com it goes to "loading clarkblaise399"

OK is that the old address or the new one?

that's the useless new one. I want to get back to the same address, without the numbers

OK then go to the picture or icon in the upper right and click there and go to Sign Out. Then sign in with the correct address and password
If your new address is still listed after you sign out click on Sign in with a different account below that
Just go to the link in the email you receive to get back to this question or bookmark this page. Don't start a new question please. Can you repeat ?
I see you said "I don't see a place to answer your last question. I did as instructed and got the answer "this account is already being used on this computer." Of course it is--it's me!" You must be signed in somewhere else. Restart the computer then try siging in again.

"You will see this message if you are already signed in to Chrome with the same Google Account on a different Chrome user. Click on the Chrome user icon on the top corner, and in the drop down select the user associated with the Google Account you are trying to sign in to Chrome with."
Still there?

when I do that, it automatically goes to pages about me, (i.e. clark blaise, [email protected]) so I get about 40 pages of stuff about me, but not my email page.

Ok you will see a little 9 square box at the upper right. Cick on that and go to the Gmail icon, see picture:

graphic
The new layout on Google is annoying and hard to figure out so I feel your pain.

I tried it. There are 3 icons in the upper right, one of them a little brown bear, the other two more geometric. One of them has a drop-down screen with many (hundreds) of entries. But whenever I go for the Gmail, it immediately gives me back my "new" (clarkblaise 399) screen, or (in fact, first of all) a "clark blaise" screen that's about my books and speeches, etc. but not usable as a receiver or sender of emails

Open Safari and go to the Safari logo next to the Apple logo in the upper left of your screen then go to Reset Safari... when the window pops up check all boxes and click on Reset then go to gmail.com again and sign in.
If you are confused with the new Google sites the other option is to open Mail in the Dock and add your account there for easy access.
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic