Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My son passed away leaving an iPod 60GB and an iPod Shuffle...how

do I remove tunes from...
My son passed away leaving an iPod 60GB and an iPod Shuffle...how do I remove tunes from these devices when I have no access to my son's iTunes account to manage removal?
Appreciate the help.

Jay
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2013
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Are you wanting to erase these devices back to factory defaults?

Thanks,

That is exactly what I'm trying to do, John

Thanks Jay.

Is your computer a Mac or Windows PC?

Windows using Win 7.0

Thanks again.

Download and install the latest version of iTunes if necessary:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Open iTunes.

Connect your iPod to your computer.

Select your iPod in iTunes when it appears. You will see information about your iPod appear in the "Summary" tab of the main iTunes window.

Locate and click the "Restore" button

A progress bar will appear on the computer screen, indicating that stage one of the restore process has begun. When this stage is done, iTunes will present one of two messages with instructions specific to the iPod model you are restoring.
  • Disconnect iPod and connect it to iPod Power Adapter (typically applies to older iPod models).
  • Leave iPod connected to computer to complete restore (typically applies newer iPod models).

During stage two of the restore process, the iPod displays an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remain connected to the computer or iPod power adapter during this stage.

Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see, because the backlight on the iPod display may be off on some models.

After stage two of the restore process is complete, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear. It will ask you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences, as it did when you connected your iPod for the first time put of the box.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid

It appears that the iPod is corrupted and won't work within the iTunes interface. It acts like it sees the device for a few seconds, then the device disappears. I cannot see anything resembling a "Restore" button or a "Progress Bar"

So the device appears in iTunes and then vanishes again?

To be clear, if you are running the latest version of iTunes then the button to select the iPod would be on the toolbar right next to the button for the iTunes Store. Similar to how the iPad button appears in the following screen:

iphone-ipad-contacts-to-itunes-11/itunes-11-select-device.jpg" alt="graphic"/>

You will only see the Restore button on the Summary page after you click the iPod button.

Understood....the iPod button appears but when clicked it disappears and no options are available. I ran the diagnostics from iTunes Help and received a dialog suggesting that the device may be corrupted. It appears I may have to give up on this effort. I do appreciate your help and an willing to pay the $38 for this service but do not wish to sign up for Free Trial or a continuing service contract as I would rarely use the service. You've been great. thanks

Jay

Do you have this same problem with both iPods? If that is the case then the issue may actually lay elsewhere. If the iPods seem to function ok on their own then this would support that idea. One thing you might try is disabling any third party firewall or anti-virus software, for a start. This often interferes with communication between iTunes and the hardware.

I'm not an employee and so can't access the details of your account here on JustAnswer or financial arrangement with them but from what I can see you are NOT signed up as a subscription customer so you should receive no additional billing.

John T. F., Mac Druid