Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am trying to load Rosetta Stone on my Macair and because…

I am trying to load...
I am trying to load Rosetta Stone on my Macair and because I don't remember my password XXXXX Rosetta Stone I went to Rosetta Stone chat -- they were unable to help me because I couldn't remember my computer password. Not the one I get into my computer after I close it -- but the original when opening the Macair after I first purchased it.
Can you help me?
11/4/2013
Jason Jones, Mac Technician

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

It sounds like they were not able to help you reset your Administrator password. You can follow the instructions below to reset this password.

Please, follow the instructions below to reset your password:
- Insert the Mac OS Install disc in the Mac and restart the Mac
- When you hear the startup beep, hold down the C key until you see a spinning gear.
- Choose Utilities > Reset password
- Follow the on screen instructions to reset your password.

Restart the computer.

---------------------------

If you do NOT have an Installation CD/DVD, you can reset your password XXXXX following the intructions below:

Please, follow the instructions below:
- Turn your Mac off
- Hold down the Command key and the letter S while you turn your Mac on
- After it boots up, wait 10 seconds and then let go of Command S
- Type: mount -uw /
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard
- Type: launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons /com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
- Press Enter
- Type: ls /Users
- Press Enter
- You will see your username listed there.
- Type: passwd username
----Example, if your username is XXXXX XXXXX would type: passwd joejoe
- Press Enter
- Type your new password (it will not show anything)
- Press Enter
- Type your password XXXXX
- Press Enter
- Type: rm -rf /Users/username/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
- Press Enter
- Type: reboot
- Press Enter

Now your username will have the new password XXXXX you just set.

If you have any questions, I am available to continue.

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you again,
- Jason

Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Tried what you suggested and it removed my password XXXXX enter my computer. Other than that It seems to work, I'm still waiting to fully try it out to see if it worked the way I expect. Sorry I didn't get back to you, tried but somehow it didn't' work.

Thank you for the update Elaine.

Please, do not forget to rate my help above by clicking one of those faces and clicking the Submit button. That is the only way that this site gives me any credit for my time.

If you have any later issues, please, let me know.

- Jason
Ok