Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Is there any USB drive for mac that is password XXXXX? or

a USB that is online/storage...
Is there any USB drive for mac that is password XXXXX? or a USB that is online/storage and no actual device is needed?
11/2/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

There are a few options you can use to store documents online. The mac preferred source is iCloud which works best with your Mac. Another option is Google Drive. What kind of information are you looking to store online?

Michelle :

.

Customer:

Private informations

Customer:

Like files, folders, etc but I want online storage that is password XXXXX with an interface that can be downloaded on the computer

Customer:

or is it possible to create a folder on my computer and password XXXXX?

Michelle :

Both sites offer password XXXXX server. Since you have a Mac, it may be much easier to use iCloud which can be downloaded anywhere by logging in using a password. You can also password XXXXX your machine if you feel it is easier

Michelle :

Especially if you are not the only one who uses the computer

Customer:

which link to download icould?

Michelle :

I cloud works with using your Apple ID and password. It should already be installed on your Mac. Click on the apple logo the upper left corner and choose system preferences. Is iCloud listed?

Michelle :

I would add though.. If you will be uploading mostly folders, google drive may work best for you

Michelle :

iCloud works directly with Pages documents form your computer

Customer:

Google drive is not password XXXXX

Customer:

It's not password XXXXX on my computer.

Michelle :

Yes it is. You can only sign on using your gmail username and password. Just like iCloud

Customer:

But the google drive interface reveals my folders

Michelle :

It is password XXXXX You will need to sign out every time your are done.

Michelle :

Both iCloud and Google drive will keep you signed in for a certain amount of time. But you can manually sign out

Michelle :

If you are worried about private sensitive information. The safest place is actually on your computer and not on any server. You can then password XXXXX your computer

Michelle :

You can also set it up so that a password XXXXX XXXXX to log in, install any application, and a password XXXXX also be required to wake your computer from sleep

Customer:

Ok can I password XXXXX a folder on my computer?

Michelle :

Yes you can password XXXXX just one folder via disk utility. You will need to create a new folder but you can drag contents from your old folder into the new one

Michelle :

Im sorry.. You can actually use the same folder

Michelle :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Michelle :

Let me know when it is open

Customer:

it's opened

Customer:

what next

Michelle :

Click on File > New > Disk Image From Folder.

Michelle :

Choose The folder you wish to password XXXXX

Michelle :

Under image format make sure you choose read/write so you can edit it

Michelle :

Then choose 128 bit encryption

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

After you make up a password, choose oK and allow the image to create

Michelle :

Make sure you uncheck remember in keychain

Customer:

ok where can i see the folder?

Customer:

it created something with .dmg

Michelle :

Double click on the disk image (.dmg)

Michelle :

It will then open as if it is a USB drive

Michelle :

Under devices in the left column

Customer:

it's not appearing under device

Michelle :

When you double click on the newly created .dmg file, what happens?

Michelle :

A password XXXXX should automatically appear

Customer:

I didn't see the newly created .dmg

Michelle :

You may not have took note to where you were saving it. No worries, we can start again. Open disk utility again and choose File > New > Disk Image From Folder. After you choose the folder, it will ask you where you wish to save it

Michelle :

You can choose the desktop if you would like to make it easier or you can save it wherever

Michelle :

If the older disk image is still in the left column, you can right click on it and choose reveal in finder

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can i choose blank disk image

Customer:

i want a new folder

Customer:

not exisiting

Customer:

?

Michelle :

Yes you can. Just name the folder and choose a place where you wish to save it

Customer:

format?

Customer:

encryption?

Customer:

partitions?

Customer:

image format?

Michelle :

Format: Mac Os Extended Journaled
Encryption: 128 Bit
Image Format Read/Write

Customer:

partitions?

Michelle :

No partition map

Customer:

Nobody can access this folder? even police forensic?

Michelle :

Technically if they have access to the actual hard drive itself, the forensic team can take apart the hard drive Layer by layer to retrieve data. The only true way to prevent data recovery is to burn the hard drive

Customer:

I thought macintosh is difficult for forensic because of strong encryption?

Michelle :

Although that is true, you never know what type of resources the government has. Remember, we are never privilege to that information. Apple builds a strong encryption mainly to protect from hackers and other external forces. Not necessarily government/police resources

Customer:

hmmmm, you are right

Michelle :

:)

Customer:

you know about opendrive?

Customer:

www.opendrive.com/‎

Customer:

It appears like a USB but the storage is on the web

Michelle :

Its the same as most online cloud storage

Customer:

not on the computer

Michelle :

Its almost exactly like google drive

Customer:

cloud/googledrive leave the file on the computer, they only sync it

Customer:

opendrive does it ... it accepts the folder to the online storage and never on the computer

Customer:

but it's slow

Customer:

to load files etc

Customer:

do you know of any that is faster?

Michelle :

How large are you files

Customer:

Maximum 500mb

Michelle :

There are sites like Mozy.com.. But they do charge

Michelle :

From a security standpoint, wouldn't files on your hard drive be more secure than on an online server?

Customer:

i see

Customer:

you think the sites could access my files?

Michelle :

Well from a security stand point and this is my opinion.. In the last week, I have received emails from Paypal, chase and evernote prompting me to change my password XXXXX their security was "Compromised" So no I am not a big fan of uploading very sensitive information online and sleep better at night knowing they are on my computer

Michelle :

Granted, computers get hacked all the time but..

Michelle :

Use your judgment, its your information and not mine so which ever option works best for your security needs is the one for you

Customer:

Hmmm

Customer:

Thanks for your time Michelle.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Was there anything els I can assist you with?

Customer:

You have done the best. Thanks a lot

Michelle :

You are welcome. Have a fantastic rest of your evening

Customer:

Oh, how can a forensic know that i password XXXXX folder?

Customer:

like a police take my computer and would they know a folder is password XXXXX when it's not even revealing on desktop

Michelle :

When they use their software and examine your files, it actually show up as thousands of files and not folders. So their job is to go through every single file, open and then examine it. So it will not actually appear as folders

Customer:

What software do they use?

Michelle :

Have no idea. I doubt it is even on the market

Michelle :

You will have to befriend an FBI or CIA agent :)

Customer:

what about password XXXXX USB flash drive? can they access it?

Michelle :

I would assume in the event someone is under investigation, they may be able to subpoena records.

Michelle :

You may want to find out specifically what that companies privacy policy is. They are not all the same

Customer:

what is subpoena?

Michelle :

A subpoena orders someone to testify in court or orders the records of the person under investigation. A subpoena is issued by the court

Customer:

How can they access a USB flash drive by sandisk that is password XXXXX?

Michelle :

I am not sure they can or can not. But if you have files that are stored online, they are still managed and controlled by that company

Michelle :

Just because something is password XXXXX it does not mean it entirely belongs to you

Customer:

i see

Customer:

thanks friend

Customer:

have a great evening

Michelle :

You are so welcome.

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician