Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Every time I open up Safari, the screen with my name on it…

Every time I open up...
Every time I open up Safari, the screen with my name on it from the HD comes up on the desktop. I do I get that screen back to the HD?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need a little clarification. Every time you launch Safari, a picture downloads onto your desktop?

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

It is the screen from my hard drive with my name at the top of the screen. My daughter and son-in-law who also have Macs are are good computer people, have tried to get the screen to not show up. They haven't been successful.

Michelle :

And this only happens when you open safari. Correct?

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

I haven't tried using Firefox to see if it happens with it, but Safari is my usual Browser.

Michelle :

One last question. When you do a normal google search, does it picture go away?

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

The google screen covers the screen with my name on it. I often just click the red button on the Claire screen to get rid of it, and often just use Google which covers the smaller screen.

Michelle :

What operating system are you running?

Michelle :

We can try to reset safari

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

10.5.8

Michelle :

Before we reset safari, Are you chatting from Safari now?

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

Yes

Michelle :

Can you resume our chat on firefox? We will be disconnected

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

If I switch over to Firefox, how will I still be connected to you?

Michelle :

Copy and paste this link
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/83a7w-every-time-open-safari-screen-name.html?src=nql

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

I hit copy, where do I paste it?

Michelle :

In the top URL bar. Where you enter an www.

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

It's already there. Do I close out Safari now and open Firefox?

Michelle :

Yup

Michelle :

let me know when you are chatting from firefox

Michelle :

I see you are offline. I hope you can find your way back

Michelle :

You should also be able to use the link inside your inbox

Michelle :

Oh no

Michelle :

Well... I guess I will have to wait here until you find your way back :)

Michelle :

Incase you get back when and we miss each other, try these instructions first.
1. Open Safari
2. Click on Safari in the top menu bar.
3. Choose Reset Safari
4. Keep everything checked except username/ passwords
5. Click on Reset

Michelle :

If your issue still persist....
1. Close Safari
2. Open Finder (Click on the happy face icon)
3. Click on your username account (house icon)
4. Click on the Library folder
5. Within the library folder, locate the preferences folder
6. Within the preferences folder, locate and delete com.apple.Safari.plist
7. Open safari

Michelle :

.

Michelle :

You made it back! Im so sorry you had issues coming back to the chat

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

I am on Firefox now. Sorry it took so long.

Michelle :

No need to apologize.. Im glad you made it back

Michelle :

Ok lets start with resetting safari first

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

OK

Michelle :

Open safari and choose Safari from the top menu bar. Select reset safari. Make sure everything is checked except username and passwords. Then click on reset

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

I have done that.

Michelle :

When it opened back up, is the picture of your hard drive and name still there?

JACUSTOMER-szreeirj- :

I t does seem to have gone away. Thanks so much.

Michelle :

You are very welcome. I sooooo sorry we were disconnected

Michelle :

Im glad you made it back. Enjoy safari again :)

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician