Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I recently restarted my computer and not a normal start up…

I recently restarted my computer...
I recently restarted my computer and not a normal start up happened. It asked me to chose a language then it went to OS X utilities menu which shows

Restore from time machine backup
reinstall OSX
get help online
disk utility.

I didnt do anything out of the norm. Is all my stuff gone now?

Please help!

Respectfully,

Carlos
11/1/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you restarted into the recovery partition. This can happen if your computer does not recognize your hard drive. In the Utilities screen, do you see Disk utility?

Michelle :

Also, were you performing any system upgrades?

Customer:

I am not doing an upgrades.

Customer:

I tried the disk utility to see if everything was fine and it said it was.

Michelle :

Are you trying to upgrade to 10.9 Mountain Lion?

Customer:

I am not trying to upgrade to anything. Yesterday I had a update to my computer and did the up date but not upgrade to 10.9. Not that is said that.

Michelle :

Okay, Click on Utilities at the top menu bar and choose startup disk

Michelle :

When you click on startup disk, you should see your hard drive. Click on that and choose restart

Customer:

It doesnt give me that option. when I click on the utilities at the top it only gives me firmware password XXXXX network utility and terminal on a drop down

Michelle :

Then click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose restart

Customer:

I can restart when I click on the apple icon that gives me restart option

Michelle :

Choose restart

Customer:

ok, clicking

Michelle :

Okay, let me know if it restarts normally or back into the install

Customer:

samething happens back to the OS X utilities pane

Customer:

It gives me the same 3 options

Customer:

4 options sorry.

Customer:

Restore from time machine backup, reinstall OSX, get help online, and disk utility

Michelle : It sounds like your computer may have lost the operating system. Let's check first. Click on the apple logo again and choose startup disk
Michelle : you should see a picture of your hard drive.
Customer:

Ok, it shows MAC HD OS X10.8.5 icon

Michelle :

Choose Mac HD and then choose restart

Michelle :

Make sure the command or R key on your keyboard is not being pressed down

Customer:

same thing back to the same screen with the menu pane

Michelle :

Okay that means an error may have occurred while performing software updates, so now you will need to re-install your operating system

Michelle :

Normally you will loose any data, but anything is possible

Michelle :

NOT Loose data**

Michelle :

Sorry

Customer:

you mean OS X reinstall?

Michelle :

Yes, you will need to choose OSX reinstall and hit continue

Michelle :

It will then ask you to select Mac HD and then hit continue

Customer:

ok, did it. now what?

Michelle :

The installation process will take bout 45 mins so be sure to check back with me once it is done

Customer:

On here the same chat room?

Michelle :

Yup. You can bookmark this page or just leave it open

Customer:

it say 22hrs it will take.

Michelle :

It depends on your internet speed but that seems slow. It should give you a more accurate time in a few minutes

Customer:

ya, it was at 22 hrs and 30min but now it is at 22hrs and 13min.

Customer:

so I leave the mac on even if it goes to sleep? will it continue its download if it sleeping?

Michelle :

Yes it will. You can just tap the spacebar to wake it up

Customer:

why did this happen? I usually have no probem with my mac. Its always a PC I have a problem with.

Michelle :

Although Macs are very reliable systems, glitches do occur that are sometimes out of our hands. It may be related to their newest operating system that was just released. Since everything is done over the server and no longer via installation disks, glitches are more likely to happen

Customer:

wow..as long as I dont loss my stuff on my computer I can deal with something like this.

Michelle :

It does not sounds as if any data was lost, but we won't find out until the installation is complete

Michelle :

You did scan your hard drive via disk utility and it checked out OK so its not an issue that was related to your hard drive

Customer:

Ya, it said it was ok and showed green when it said it. So I get back with you when the install is complete right? Will I get you or a different person?

Michelle :

You will get me :) Its easier to bookmark out chat incase you close the page

Customer:

ok, that is what I will do. Thx

Michelle :

See you in 22 hours! :)

Michelle :

Hi Carlos,

Just checking in to see how the re-installation is going. Talk to you soon

Customer:

Hi Michelle, reinstallation went well. All my stuff was there and the system is work the way it is suppose to so far.

Michelle :

Im so glad to hear everything worked out. Make sure you run your software updates to catch you back up. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. Enjoy your computer again

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician