Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Hi there I have a two year old Mac Book Pro and the last few…

Customer Question
Hi there I have a...
Hi there I have a two year old Mac Book Pro and the last few days the beach ball is appearing as it hangs a lot. I've cleaned up the hard drive - 8GB memory and 221 GM free. I've reset pram and nvram and run the disk utility. No change. Works fine in safe mode but with limited functions. Help!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
11/1/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 4 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Couple of things.
The directory may need rebuilding, they get bad enough to cause all kinds of issues.
I recommend this utility, not cheap but worth it.
Or it could be a failing hard drive, about the same costs the utility with an added benefit of a new drive.

Or even better I recommend a new OS X, it will not erase any data and will install a new better working OS X.

Best is it will only cost some time.

You are probably running 10.7 or 10.8, both work the same for this.
Restart and hold the option key, select the Recovery drive and follow the steps to reinstall OS X. That will get you the startup manager.
Or start up holding Command and R to go directly to it.

Lion is the same.
Let me know if that helps.

Hi I have 10.6.8 os x. Are you suggesting I resinstall it? Do I have to have backed everything up before i do this?

Am I doing this before I try data rescue?

Thanks

Michelle

Michelle,
10.6.8 is even easier. Use the install DVD to boot from with the Option key method and select the DVD.
Backing up is always a good idea, however, 10.6.8 will also write a new OS X by default without harming your data.
This will fix any OS X issues but will not help a failing hard drive.

I do recommend this utility to clone the exsiting hard drive to an external, it is quicker than Time Machine and makes an exact copy.
It will require an external drive.

Data Rescue is for recovering data, I sent the wrong utility, this is what you want.

Before you buy that I suggest a new OS X.