Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

The cursor on my iMac is frozen in the upper left hand corner

The cursor on my iMac is frozen in the upper left hand corner and nothing I do has succeeded in releasing it. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard.
I try to power on your computer right away hold down shift key and keep holding it until you get into safe mode.

remember safe mode take longer to boot into osx operating system.

if everything working fine on safe mode, just restart your computer.
Didn't work. This seems to be not uncommon but not one Apple person seems to accept that it is a problem and thus provide a solution
So it works in Safe Mode?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

OK try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys. 

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried that just now, but grey screen never appeared. Will try again, depressing all 4 keys when chime sounds

Sorry I forgot to mention you will probably need a wired keyboard do you have one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't have another keyboard but this time I got the grey screen which has asked me to use English for the main language, pressed "Enter", goes to MAC OS X Utilities and gives me 4 options which I can scroll through with my keyboard but can't click on "Continue" as my mouse cursor won't move

OK try Return on the keyboard instead of clicking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can scroll through the 4 options: Restore from Time Machine Backup, Reinstall Mac OS X, Get Help Online or Disk Utility but can't "Continue" as the button is white, not blue, so Return doesn't do anything and the cursor doesn't move

OK hold the power button for about 15 seconds to turn off then turn on the iMac and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo since the keyboard seems to be working. When you get ot the login screen see if the mouse works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried that previously and again now . Apple logo appears and a status bar moves very slowly from left to right while "the wheel" turns. Once the status bar disappears, presumably whatever it was doing is now complete, I get login page asking for password, then press "Return" whereupon it goes to my home screen but mouse cursor still frozen top left

OK you will need to borrow or buy a wired USB mouse from somewhere. You will have to get to the System Preferences / Bluetooth and delete the devices there and then add them back using the method here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2845

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that later today - have to go to work and won't be home for another 10 hours

OK please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, I retrieved an old Dell USB wired mouse from work and followed the instructions and my computer paired and recognised my Apple Magic Mouse, including that it has 100% battery, but when I pull the wired mouse out my Apple one still doesn't work, though the cursor is now stuck in the middle of the screen. Presumably there is something wrong with my mouse. I will use the wired one for now and wait for you to get back to me before I go online to order a new wireless Apple Magic Mouse?

Now I have no sound, apparently also not uncommon, and I cannot untick a Mute box. More accurately the grey volume logo thingy has a circle with a cross through it underneath. I thought Apple Macs were infallible but it seems not. It would be okay if I could work my way through to a fix but the logical routes are inaccessible as they are greyed out. I suspect a bug, multiple users, and if I could System Restore like Microsoft at least I would feel that I could fix it but this is so frustrating it is not funny. The online forums are next to useless and one would have thought that all the software updates over the last few years would solve these persistent problems but Apple appear to be in constant denial.

OK yes sounds like the mouse is defective, the cross through the volume logo just means it is on mute. So even with the wired mouse you can't uncheck Mute in System Preferences / Sound / Output tab? If that is the case then try the previous instructions again for resetting the PRAM, when you hold the Command-Option-P-R keys keep holding them until you hear the startup chime 3 times or you see the screen go black three times:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
8. Release the keys.