Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have just had my computer totally wiped out and restored

it from an external drive...
I have just had my computer totally wiped out and restored it from an external drive. My iPhoto was not on my computer -- it is on a separate external drive because it is large. But I now can not find theiphot app or open my picture when I plug in my disc. How do i get iphot back on my computer . This all began with Maverick---aaaah
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/29/2013
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information about your issue. First click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in iPhoto. Does it come up? If not, you can re-download it from the App store

Customer:

It shows up as a circle with aline through it

Michelle :

Okay that means it may either need to be updated or re-downloaded. Lets check for updates first. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates.

Customer:

and a message says I can't use this iPhoto with this computer???

Customer:

clicked no iphoto

Michelle :

When you said you clicked no iPhoto, did you mean you checked for updates and iPhoto was not on the list?

Customer:

Yes not on the list

Michelle :

Thanks for clarifying. Lets go ahead and re-install iPhoto. Before we do that, we will need to delete the old one. Open you finder window and click on the Applications folder in the left column

Michelle :

Make sure there is only one iPhoto there and make sure it is the one with the grey circle

Customer:

got it

Michelle :

Now drag that one into the trash. This just gets rid of the application itself and not your photo s

Michelle :

Next, while you are in the applications folder, locate App Store and open it

Customer:

done

Michelle :

In the search box, type in iPhoto

Michelle :

There should be an installed button and not a price

Michelle :

or install

Customer:

sorry doorbell I'm back!

Michelle :

Its okay

Customer:

no it says install but no price

Michelle :

Good! Click on the install button and enter your Apple ID and password

Michelle :

It will now begin to download

Customer:

it 's showing a bar at the bottom installing, but did not ask for id or anything

Michelle :

Thats fine. The download should take about 5 mins

Michelle :

How is the install going?

Customer:

almost at the end

Customer:

moving slow

Michelle :

It is a large file. It also depends on your internet speed

Customer:

done

Michelle :

Go ahead and open it

Customer:

showing opening

Customer:

it's saying upgrade

Michelle :

Yes go ahead and upgrade

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

Do you also know how to open your iPhoto library on your external drive?

Customer:

now i'm worried.

Michelle :

What's wrong?

Customer:

all 7000 pictures just showed up in i photo. does that mean its on computer or on disc

Customer:

disc is plugged in

Customer:

I'm taking disc out and see?

Michelle :

Lets check. In iPhoto, click on file< Switch to library

Michelle :

How many libraries show up

Michelle :

You can also eject the disk and check too. Whichever way is easier

Customer:

Yeaah it's not on computer it shows up only when disc is in!

Michelle :

Yay!

Customer:

It's fixed yeahhhhhhhh! Thank you thank thank you

Michelle :

You are sooooooo welcome Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Nope. I'm done now that I can move forward!

Michelle :

Glad to hear that

I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking today. You can now provide a rating to end our chat. Have a fantastic rest of your day :)

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician