Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I tried to use Desktop utility to clean my old iMac but didnt

I tried to use Desktop...
I tried to use Desktop utility to clean my old iMac but didn't realize that Tech Tool Pro 4 was still on it. Now I am stuck in E Drive on TTP4 with nothing much usable elsewhere.
How do I get rid of TTP4 so I can finish my cleaning job?
10/28/2013
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

TTP4 is a good utility, I use it myself.
That said, the way to get out of the E drive is to restart and hold the Option key, this opens the StartupManager.

graphic

It will lokk something like that. Select the Mac HD and try it again.
Let me know.

Sorry,, that just brought up the Edrive icon, but no Mac HD.

Ok, what version of OS X is on the iMac? Do you have an OS X installation DVD?
WHat iMac is it and do you use a wireless keyboard?

Mac OSX 10.4.7 No installation DVD but it says the start-up drive is the Edrive. wired keyboard.

Can you open the system preferences? If so how many choices are there for start up or boot drives?

Yes I have that open, but the Mac OS and the Network icons are faded out, but the Restart button is active.

Ok Tom,
What are you using to converse with me on? If another Mac do you have a firewire cable?

Yes, I am using a Macbook Pro and firewire is available. Forgot to mention Target disk mode button is available also.

That is a good thing.
I should have asked what utility were you using when this happened?

Disk Utility used to start an overwrite. Seems it overwrote all the stuff that is usable on the HD except TTP4.

Embarrassing!

Let me see if I understand this.
You used DU to erase the hard drive? Is that right? You did this how? Also, once the drive was erased or overwriten how were you going to install OS X?

Yes, but I just wanted to erase all in order to recycle, so install I thought was not necessary. I went to Mission control, DU, then Pick the iMac to erase, then press erase, etc., on Firewire with the iMac in target mode. Does this answer your question?

Ok, that makes sense. You could try repartioning the drive. Use DU again same way or maybe zero it.

Open Apple's Disk Utility, selected the internal drive with the eDrive partition, and delete that partition.
To do this second step is pretty simple. Select the entire base drive (not a named partition), click on the Partition tab, scroll down to the part of the graphic labeled eDrive, select it, and hit the minus button below the graphic.

Give that a shot.

It's running and says "preparing to remove partition. However above in the partition information area on the botXXXXX XXXXXne it says "this partition can't be modified." I hope that only refers to resizing. Perhaps the options and apply button should have been used first???

I would try cjanging th enumber of partitions and the options and apply. I know that it can resust but it will also yeild.

It has been a long time since I has TTP 4, I now have 7 but I do not use the E drive feature since I stopped using TT4.
The other option is to remove the hard drive, assuming a flat panel, isn't too hard.

That means stopping whatever it is trying to do so far, then set the number of partitions and the options and apply?? The system as it

is running now will not allow me those buttons unless I abort what

it is running, apparently. Basically I would have to restart this process

all over again?

Probably starting over would be best, XXXXX XXXXX not know how long it will take to finish because I do not know what you started.
I know it can be done.

I just hit the erase button as directed and it began. I will see if I can re-try now.

Ok, let me know.

I tried to close the window and a reply window came up saying that "DU still has some operations in progress. Quiting in the middle of some operations can leave a disk non-operational" then gives me the option of close or not. I am confused as to whether DU is really doing anything to de-partition or not, perhaps just running in circles or is it actually accomplishing anything?

Let it finish what it is doing, might take a while, unless you are ok with the possibilty of a dead drive.

Well, considering what has been done in my first attempt at cleaning, it sort of is dead already, isn't it? OR are they talking about the more physical parts of the drive? The thing that I wonder about is if it is in preparing mode, what in the world could it be finishing? I don't mind giving "closing" a try, but I would defer to your advice in this.

When I say 'dead' I mean an unusable hard drive as in toast. But since you are recycling it anyway what does it matter.
Hard drives for that iMac are getting scarce because of the interface, a good machine just obsolete.
Shut it down and try again, if it fails to even show the e drive then mission accomplished, if it shows then repartition it.

Either way job done.

Dan, Seems to be working! Says it is one partition, so then all there seems to be to do is double check that TTP4 is no longer there?

That should do it, I might try two and then redo it back to one to be sure Tom.

Thanks Daniel. I'll do that. I think I can take it from here, Thank you so much!

Quite welcome Tom, are you donating the iMac or just junking it? The Salavtion Army or Goodwill may have a use for it.
Nice to help you.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius