Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My husband rebooted our Mac this morning: all of my old emails

that were left in my...
My husband rebooted our Mac this morning: all of my old emails that were left in my mailbox have disappeared! Is there any hope? (not for the marriage...the "lost" emails???)
10/28/2013
cmg103176
cmg103176, Computer Hardware Engineer

cmg103176 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to resolve your issue

cmg103176 :

Can you first tell me who your email provider is? (Comcast, MSN, gmail, etc...)

Customer:

Comcast & me.com

cmg103176 :

And what email client are you using? (Mail, Outlook, entourage, ect...)

Customer:

Safari

cmg103176 :

ok so you are going through a web browser directly to your email providers site (www.comcast.net and www.me.com) is this correct?

Customer:

right

cmg103176 :

when you log into your email, where were your messages that are now missing? Were they in the "Inbox", "Deleted Items", "Trash" or another folder?

Customer:

inbox

cmg103176 :

Are you clicking past the "Inbox Preview" page so you can see all your folders?

Customer:

yes, I did that & that's when I discovered that my "old" mail was no longer there

cmg103176 :

Can you click the "View Entire Mailbox" link or have you already?

Customer:

I have to look for that: how can I do that and not loose you????

cmg103176 :

In Safari you can open a new tab by clicking the + tab at the top of the browser right above the address bar. Then you can go to www.comcast.net and log in then click back on this tab to communicate with me

Customer:

ok...did that same thing happened....(thanks for the info)

cmg103176 :

so you clicked the "View Entire Inbox" link and when it takes you into your mailbox you see nothing but the folders on the left column (Inbox, Spam, Trash, etc...)?

Customer:

yes BUT I also see the few emails that I have received in the last hour or so

cmg103176 :

ok, I do notice that when I click on preferences in my browser, I never get to the preference page because it looks like the comcast page is having an issue. I have not confirmed this nor has comcast said they are having issues, but there maybe.

Customer:

right...but I am getting current emails ?

cmg103176 :

I am trying to think why you have any new emails but not old ones. Usually a reboot of your computer does not have any affect on your email. Are you sure that you have never setup Outlook or Mail or Entourage on your Mac?

cmg103176 :

Do you have any emails in your "Trash folder"?

Customer:

no...not sure

cmg103176 :

If an email client is setup as a POP3 client, it will pull your emails off the email server and put them on your computer. So if "Mail" (looks like a stamp in your dock) was setup as a POP3 your emails will be in there and not on your email server so when you log into comcast.net there will not be any emails. Do you see the "Mail" Icon in your Dock?

Customer:

THAT icon is missing as well!!! :(

cmg103176 :

If you open "Finder" (it looks like the square face in the dock), then go to "applications" you can find "mail" in there. Can you open the mail application?

Customer:

yes...I have done that previously

Customer:

that familiar stamp is there! :)

cmg103176 :

does it look like it is setup with your email or is it asking for you to setup an account

Customer:

it's just the icon, I will go back and double click on it & see what happens

Customer:

There it is!!!! YEAH!!!! :) Thank YOU!!!!!! :))))))

cmg103176 :

you are very welcome. Are all your emails there?

Customer:

Yes!!!! :)

cmg103176 :

if you would like I can walk you through setting it up so the emails are also on the server. A copy will be in your Mail client and on the server. Do you want to do that?

Customer:

Do you think that's the right thing to do? Can you determine what might have happened?

cmg103176 :

Things like this don't normally just happen. Someone has to actually set up the Mail client with your email account information. I personally have my email setup that way so that I have it on my computer and on the email server, for 2 reasons. First is, just incase my computer crashes, my emails are still on the server. Second is so that if I need to check my emails and get some old emails when I am away from my computer, I still can.

Customer:

I get it: okay, let's set it up then! :)

cmg103176 :

OK give me a second or two, I am trying see where that setting is.

cmg103176 :

With the Mail client open can you go to the menu bar at the top of the screen and right click the word "mail" then go into preferences?

Customer:

yes...

cmg103176 :

once in preferences highlight the account you want to make this change to

cmg103176 :

then select the advanced tab

Customer:

ok

cmg103176 :

I think it is the 3rd box down from the top that says "Remove copy from server after retrieved". Uncheck that box

Customer:

ok

cmg103176 :

once you have that box unchecked you can then click the red circle button at the top left of the preferences window to close the window. It should ask you if you want to save the changes and you want to click yes or save

Customer:

done...

cmg103176 :

Good, you should be all set now. I think all your message will appear back in the comcast mail website as well as your "Mail" client inbox.

Customer:

thank you VERY, Very much! have a great day! :)

cmg103176 :

You too, Glad I could help you resolve this.

cmg103176
cmg103176, Computer Hardware Engineer
cmg103176
cmg103176
cmg103176, Computer Hardware Engineer