Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi name Peder, Done some small projects in iMovie (9.0.4)

Hi name Peder, Done some small...
Hi name Peder,
Done some small projects in iMovie (9.0.4) and want to get them ready for further work in iDvd but iMovie tells me that I'm short of memory (have total 4 Gb) and wants me to close iMovie and restart. Done so but still the same answer. Have run total maintenance pgm (rapairing permissions, running maintenace scripts etc etc) but still same answer. iMovie is demanding 1.2 Gb memory according to Activity check. Tried to close everything else but nothing helps. Can You ?
10/28/2013
Mike, Mac Medic
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Version 10.6.8

proc 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 Gb 1067 Mhz DDR3

Besides Repairing Permisions have you Verified Disk also? If so right click on Macintosh HD and go to Get Info. Tell me what is listed next to Capacity and Available.

Kapacity = 499,76 Gb

available 445,63 Gb

OK that is most likely your problem, you don't have enough disk space. Your computer uses disk space as well as RAM when working. I suggest you replace it with a larger drive or get an external drive to move some common things that use a lot of space like iTunes and iPhoto libraries. Let me know

Hi .. a little astonished of your answer.

Kapacity 499 Gb, Available 445 Gb and only 55 Gb used. Most files are already placed on other harddisks. Eg whole iTunes and whole iPhoto are placed there (except links of course).

I hardly have much to move.

Do You mean that iMovie really needs more than 400 Gb extra harddisk to be able to make the project ready for iDvd ?? Has there been substancial changes in ver 9-0-4 ?

Memory needs (using harddisk) shouldn't that show up by having reading a lot of pages out and in or have missunderstood this.

My activity checker indicates as follows:

Sides in 1,07 Gb sides out 34 Mb, Free memory 443 Mb, Resident =587 Mb Active memory = 2,29 Gb (of these iMovie = 1.2) Unactive =721 Mb, virtual 156 MbGb

I don't know if these figures are useful but that is all extra facts I can give You

Best

Oh.... very, very sorry I misread that. No that should be plenty of space. iDVD is not really supported any longer because it is no longer made. I would try exporting the movie first at full quality then import it to iDVD. Let me know if that works. Sorry....

That is exactly what I try to do. Using iMovies topmeny alternative Share

There I can chose (as You know) iDvd or iTunes but also decide which level / size I want. It doesn't matter which size I chorse or if I use iDvd or iTunes. iMovie still answers need more memory. Recommends stop iMovie and restart it

Ok not Share to iTunes or iDVD.... Share to Export Movie choose Large

Sorry Mike I couldn't express myself correctly What I tried so say was exactly what You now suggested (i'm running the swedish version so I didn't know the correct expression).

Ok now we are on speaking terms again.

... I choose Large (and have also tried all the other alternatives)

and get message : more memory needed stop iMovie and restart it

This doesn't help and is my problem why I contacted You

Ok open Macintosh HD / Users / Yourusername / Library / Preferences trash com.apple.imovie.plist then restart and try again.

Hello Mike and many thanks. It worked fine. Done 2 different project ready and no problems what so ever.

Can You explain why ..... what is the plist controlling ??

Sorry had to reboot myslef....The Preference file got corrupted. Hard to say how at this point... GREAT!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic