James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I have an iMac and a PC that are both out of space. I also

I have an iMac and a PC that are both out of space. I also have the previous Time Capsule version which is also full. I am thinking of getting the 3TB new Apple Time Capsule for network storage and faster wifi. Can I still use the old time capsule in conjunction with the new one so I have more overall space? I also have an external HD that I would like to connect to the time capsule too so those files are also available on the network. Thanks

The answer is yes, you can certainly use more than one external drive. You can also connect an external drive to the time capsule and use it for storage.

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes but can I use 2 different time capsules together? as in plugging the old one into the back of the new one? I want to send my laptop time machine backup to the old one, and my imac back up to the new one.

How many external HDs can you hook up to a Time Capsule (the new one)?

You cannot plug one time capsule into another.
You can get a NEW time capsule, and then connect an external drive to the back of it, and have your computers share that storage.

There is one USB port on the back for connecting an external drive, so you can only connect a single external drive to the capsule.

I hope this is clear, but if not - ask me!

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok but then what about just leaving my old time capsule plugged in and using that for a Time Machine backup for my laptop? This way I would have 2 time capsules backing up differnet Macs

That's certainly an option. You can leave the old one and buy a new one, and then you will have two time capsules. That kind of configuration will certainly work.
You can also connect an external drive to increase the storage.

Many thanks,

James.