Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I can not receive any e-mail however, I can send e-mail. Thank

I can not receive any...
I can not receive any e-mail however, I can send e-mail.
Thank you
Gus
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2013
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Has this worked previously, is it a new issue, or are you setting up a new account?

Thanks,

John -
This is a new issue. I can receive e-mail on the desk top but not the I-pad
Thanks, Gus.

Who is your email provider?

John - I am a big dummy when it comes to this thing. I think that would be AOL?
Okay, no worries!

The easiest thing may be to recreate the account.

From the home screen, tap Settings.

tap Mail, Contacts Calendars.

From the Accounts section, tap your troublesome email account.

tap Delete Account.

tap Delete button.

Next, re-add the account;

In the Accounts section, Tap Add Account.

tap your email provider (AOL, for example)

Follow the onscreen steps and provide the required information to configure your account.

Once the account has been completed, test that it works properly.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

John -
that did not seem to work. I get a message, the user name or password XXXXX "imap.aol.com" is incorrect. It also appears that I have lost all my notes
Your notes should return once the account is successfully created.

Are you able to sign into AOL mail via their website?

John -
I'm sorry, but i don't know what that means. But I tried to open the I-pad to get e-mail but the message I get is - user name or password XXXXX XXXXX
Go to the Aol.com website on your computer. You should see an option to sign in to check your mail.

John -
I went to AOL and am able to open my e-mail. As a matter of fact all your comments aare also on the desk top.
Ok are you able to browse the web and do other things on the internet on the iPad?

John - Yes, I just went to google and ask how old is the grand canyon
Ok good. If you now visit aol.com via the web browser on the iPad are you able to sign in?

John -
No, I get a message - "incorrect user name or password"
Ok

Are you using complete email address as user name?
Ok

From the home screen, tap Settings.

tap Mail, Contacts Calendars.

tap Delete Account.

tap Delete button.

Press home button

Disconnect the device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

The next thing you should see are the Apple logo followed by the home screen a few minutes later.

Now try signing back into the AOL mail sue via the Safari web browser.

Any improvement?

I got to the email and there is no message showing. However, Ther are no email past this past Tuesday showing.

It appears my reply may not have been sent.
I was able to get into e mail and there is no message about incorrect user name or password. However, there are no emails showing past those received beyond this past Tuesday.
Alright, progress. :-)

From the home screen, tap Settings.

tap Mail, Contacts Calendars.

Follow the onscreen steps and provide the required information to configure your account. Use the exact same username and password XXXXX you did in the browser.

Again the message .......user name or password XXXXX " IMAP.aol.com" is incorrect
Okay, when you are setting up the Account, and you choose AOL;

After, entering your name, address, password XXXXX description I believe it asks you to press Next. Does it ask for any other information than what I mentioned above or does it immediately go to the incorrect name/password XXXXX?

When I tap "next" the incorrect message comes up
Alright.

Does your email address end in aol.com (in other words, after the @ sign is it just aol.com)?

Yes
Thanks,

tap Settings

tap General

tap About

Look for Version. Can you tell me the number it lists?

Version number is. 7.2 (11A501)
Can you double check that version please? Is it 7.0.2?

I am sorry ..... You are correct .....it is 7.2.0
Thanks,

Is this iPad using wi-fi only or does it also have a cellular network connection?

It must have access wi fi. I hope this answers your question
Yes, thanks.

This is a curious issue.

Let's try setting up the account manually.

From the home screen, tap Settings.

tap “Mail Contacts, Calendars”

From the Accounts section, tap the email account you wish to remove.

tap “Delete Account”.

tap “Delete” to confirm.

TO ADD ACCOUNT

add the account;

In Settings > “Mail Contacts, Calendars”…

In the Accounts section, Tap “Add Account”.

tap "Other"

Follow the onscreen steps and provide the required information to configure your account. In the boxes provided you should enter your name, complete email address, password, and a description of the account.

For other questions, use data listed below:

IMAP Username: your complete email address
Incoming Mail Server: imap.aol.com
SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aol.com Set the port to 587
SMTP Username: your complete email address
SMTP Password: password XXXXX use to login to Mail

Once you’ve entered your information, in the top right, tap Next.

After your account has been verified, in the top right, tap Save. (Note: Make sure that the Mail option is turned ON.)

When the account setup has been completed, test that it works properly.

John T. F., Mac Druid

It still comes up aol is incorrect.
John I' m afraid I am just not capable of doing what is required. Can I make an appointment to bring the iPad into the local apple store where someone can do what I am not capable of doing. There is a store in Albany, NY that is convent to me. Could you set me up with an appointment.
Thank you for all your help, John.
It seems like you are indeed having a rather odd issue. If you can sign into AOL via the web browser then the Mail app should function properly, as well.

I do not have the ability to set up an appointment for you but I can offer the additional service of looking up the phone number and address of the Albany, NY Store, if you would like.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid