Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

late 2011 mac mini firmware password XXXXX ?

Can you clarify? Are you asking how to change it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

basiclly i just bought a mac mini without os. so i need to reinstall the os but i need the firmware password

Basically, this means that a previous owner of the machine decided to lock it, and this lock will prevent you from booting to other drives, optical media, etc. Since you don't know the password, there is a procedure to override it: You need to change the amount of RAM in the machine (either add memory or remove existing memory in the expansion slot), and IMMEDIATELY, i.e. the first time booting after changing the RAM, reset the PRAM (Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears) three times in a row. That means it needs to chime three times after the power-on chime. Once you've done this, you should no longer see the lock.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the first time booting after changing the RAM, reset the PRAM (Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears) three times in a row

By that, you mean i need to turn on & off three times ? or PRAM 3 times after the first power up ?

No hold those keys IMMEDIATELY after you hear the startup chime and keep holding them until you hear the chime 3 times more then let go.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just try that. but it not work. any other way?

There should be a battery that keeps the internal memory, remove it for about 10 minutes that should clear it. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i thought that the mac mini late 2011 does had memory battery anymore... but i will looking for it.

If you can give me the serial number I can check.
Sorry I'm afraid only Apple can reset the firmware password XXXXX that particular model, see here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3554?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess. But apple just change policy that they need original purchase receipt to able to do that..... Thanks anyway.