John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I would like to install safesearch on my sons ipad but, the

I would like to install safesearch on my sons ipad but, the only way I see I can do it is if he is logged in. The safesearch is no longer on if he happens to log out, correct?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

To clarify; Are you referring to the Google SafeSearch feature?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Thanks!

You should be able to make use of the Lock feature so that this will be active even when signed out of the account. Using this feature, you can theoretically lock the setting so that other users of the iPad don't change it.

Visit the Search Settings page at:
http://www.google.com/preferences

Turn on SafeSearch by checking the "Filter explicit results" checkbox.

Click Lock SafeSearch the right of the "Filter explicit results" checkbox.

Note: This is not foolproof.

On an iPad you may have better luck using the Website Restrictions feature built into iOS 7:

Tap Settings

tap General

tap Restrictions

Look for the section entitled "Allowed Content:"

tap Websites

This is a free feature in iOS 7 and it is at the system level so it can block porn and other adult themed websites throughout the device without requiring the user to use a specific browser. So, it will block access even in 3rd party apps that make use of the Safari web browser. You can can manually block and allow certain websites, as well.

If you need more assistance with this feature or are unsure if you are using iOS 7, then please let me know.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great. My one son's IPad as IOS7 and this is a great to know. My other son does not have IOS7 on his IPad yet so, will need to try and do the lock as you explained. I cant do it now because he has his at school with him.

You mentioned it's not foolproof. Why?

The "why" in regard to SafeSearch is because it's dependent on certain data remaining on the device (cookies) AND it only works in the browser you Lock it in... For example, a browser view opened in a third party app may allow searching in ways that do not respect the Lock. Also, if a third party browser were to be downloaded from the App Store then it would not respect the Lock as activated in Safari.

The iOS 7 Website Restrictions feature works more consistently across apps, particularly those updated for iOS and it does work in most third party browsers (such as Chrome) automatically.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, so I just tried to go to google.com/preferences and lock it as you said but, it asks me to log in. Then I dont believe it's locked once I am logged out. Is there a way I can keep it locked without having to log in?

Ok.

You must log in to activate the Lock itself but if it successfully locks then it should work once you sign out - that is the express purpose for the Lock feature, to work once signed out. This should hold true unless cookies/website data is cleared.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I just realized, you dont even have to sign in...you just have to hit save at the bottom and it should work. This is great. One more question...not sure if I can ask this too without getting charged....

Is there a way to track what is searched on my son's Ipad even after he hits the "clear all" on the search history page?

If Web history is turned on in Google and the account is still signed on then you can view history at https://history.google.com/history/ even if your son clears the local history in Safari. If the account is signed out then this won't work, however you can still get a hint of sites your son may have visited by tapping:

Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data

For anything more detailed you would have to set up a new browser entirely, such as "Mobicip Safe Browser With Parental Control". It includes an optional web-based dashboard allows you to monitor browsing history remotely and setup a custom internet filter across tablets, smartphones and computers.

Third party apps would NOT use this browser, however, so the previously mentioned website restriction methods would still need to be used.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I need to take more time to look into this last question becuase I have to go right now. Thanks again.

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page for future topics:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating if you have not already done so.