Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hello Daniel, My photos disappeared from my iPhoto. Can you

Hello Daniel, My photos disappeared from...
Hello Daniel,
My photos disappeared from my iPhoto. Can you help me find them? I have over 25,000 photos that have gone missing. Thanks!
10/7/2013
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Daniel is not online now. If this is urgent or if you want my help, please let me know.

Hello Ashik,

I'm online now....

Hi Candace, How did you lost them ? Can you tell me what exactly happend ?

It's strange, I really don't know. But it could have been possibly when I updated iPhoto. I remember iPhoto closed down. And I couldn't reopned it. So, I restarted the computer. My iPhoto opened then, but there were no photos.

I do have an iPhoto Library alias on my desktop, but it's empty and I didn't put it there.

Go to Macintosh HD > Users > your user name > Pictures folder and can you see iPhoto Library there ?

I'm sorry, where is the Macintosh HD?

Macintosh HD is your hard disk. You can find it in the desktop or in the finder.

Okay, sorry, yes, looking now.

Did you found it ?

Oh sorry, I thought I replied already. hold please...

I didn't get it Candace. Could you please post it again?

I responded again with a long response. I hit "reply to expert". It is again, not coming up. Could you find out what's going on on your end?

I'm sorry, I have to get the kids ready for school now.

Not sure Candace. I have no control over this site. I can only answer questions here. It might be a glitch. Try again, this time copy the text before sending to me so if it lost, you can paste it back and send again.

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later. I will be here for the next 5 hours

okay, real quick then, i'll try one more time...i opened Candace then went to pictures, opened iPhoto Library New, then it asked it I want to relaunch and switch libraries. I said relaunch. It opened with the same library. Just my new photos from recent. Not the library with the 25,000 photos and many albums that I made.

How many libraries can you see in the Pictures folder ?

just one

Candace, it seems like somehow your old iPhoto Library is deleted from your Mac. On Spotlight (searchbox in the top), search jpg and hit return. Does it shows any pictures ?
When you enter jpg in Spotlight, does it returns your pictures (in Search result) ?

it only shows the photos on my desktop

Select Show All in there and does it still shows the photos in the desktop ?

Do you have an backup of your iPhoto Library ?

i do have a backup for the iphoto library.

Cm you copy it to your Mac and open it directly ? To switch library hold down Option key while opening iPhoto
Candace, restore the backup your iPhoto Library to your Pictures folder, hold down Option key on your keyboard and open iPhoto. Select choose library, then locate and select your restored/backup library. Did that work ?

Oh my gosh, it did. You are genius. Okay, so how do I put my new iPhoto library and my old iPhoto library together?

Glad to hear that Candace. First create a folder on your deskyop. Then open iPhoto abd Switch to the new library, in new library select all the photos and click and drag them to the folder in the desktop. Then open iPhoto and switch to your old library. Then reimport the photos back to your iPhoto from the fodder in desktop.

And I apologize for the delayed response. I'm on my way to my college, so I'm replying from my phone. Let me know how it goes Candace.
Ashik, Mac Technician
You can also use this third party application named iPhoto Library Manager to merge the two libraries. Get it from here : www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Download and open iPhoto Library Manager, click on File menu and select Merge. Then follow onscreen instructions.

Also I'd recommend to keep backing up your iPhoto Library. Without backup, it is very hard to recover the lost photos.

Best Regards,

Thank you, Ashik! I will try this tomorrow morning...thank you again for helping me! I will give you a 5 smile rating when I finish tomorrow. Good luck at college!!

Thank you Candace. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask as I'm always glad to help you.

Take Care,
Hi Candace, Just checking. How is it going ?
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Ashik, Mac Technician