Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Is it possible to have a video and audio input being captured

and simultaneously send that video...
Is it possible to have a video and audio input being captured and simultaneously send that video and audio out to a TV. I am trying to do this for a church service. I have ProPresenter installed.
10/4/2013
Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Can you tell me the make and model of the computer that will be used please?

Thank you

It is a MAC Mini with 16GB memory and the latest dual processors. The video is a composite video either an S-video feed or RCA plugs. I do have HDMI feeds to the TV's from the Mac MIni

Thanks

Your question is in the wrong category, I will move it to Mac computers.

you will hear from an expert from that category shortly.

David Ruck
David Ruck, Professional Video Editor
I just wanted to get some clarification on what you are trying to do so that I can give you the best possible answer for your situation.

Are you trying to go "live" with your video input through ProPresenters output? If so, what type of capture card (Blackmagic design, Matrox, AJA) are you using in conjunction with your Mac Mini to input your video signal to ProPresenter? Did you have a plan for how you intending to record the video signal (any specific software or hardware that you are attempting to incorporate)?

Please, let me know if you have any other questions or if there is any other way that I can help. I have been working in the church media environment for years and I'm confident that I can help you with any of your presentation needs.

I have answered this several different places so I am confused as to what goes where??? I do not have a capture card, this is my way of gathering information. I have no plan in place but after this discussion I hope to have a plan. Your suggestions: for live camera coverage with a low resolution camera. converting that video for usage as a replay or live presentation, recording it and or sending it to other TV's for viewing during the service to individuals outside of the sanctuary and options for viewing live inside the sanctuary.

ProPresenter has a list of compatable capture devices listed on there website.
http://www.renewedvision.com/store.php?item=dc&cat=Video%20Accessories

If you are only inputing standard definition footage into ProPresenter, the cheapest option would be the XLR8 ProView USB Video Adapter listed for $99.

As far as video recording goes, you will have to split the video signal using a distribution amplifier to have one video cable going to your recorder and one video cable going to your Mac Mini. Composite video distribution amplifiers can be found affordably on monoprice.com.

As far as the actual video recording device goes, it really depends what you are trying to do with the recorded footage. If you want to deliver this for broadcast television, I would recomend recording to a DV Deck. If you just want to archive the services for future reference or for selling dvds of the sermons to your congregation, I would point you toward a cheaper option like a dvd recorder. The quality will be lower on the dvd recorder which may or may not matter for your use, but it will be significantly cheaper.

I hope this answers your questions. If you need any clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Can I do this at the same time I am using ProPresenter for showing slides for the songs during the service?

Absolutely. With the XLR8 set as the video input device for ProPresenter, engage the "Live" button, and your camera will be on screen. If you engage a slide, ProPresenter will fade to it, and when you clear the slide, ProPresenter will fade back to video. You can even show song lyrics over top of your live video if you'd like.

There are some great tutorials on how to use and setup ProPresenter. I highly recommend you check them out before you configure your system. http://www.renewedvision.com/propresenter.php?page=tutorials

Does this answer your question?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have to purchase Pro Video Player in addition to ProPresenter 5 to make this happen?

No you don't have to buy Pro Video Player. Pro Video Player is used for linking multiple presentation computers together to play multimedia content on several different screens all in sync. Great to have, but not at all necessary, especially if you are just starting to build your presentation system out.

Does that answer your question?
David Ruck
David Ruck, Professional Video Editor

OK, I received the XLR8 USB, hooked it up and recorded video while in ProPresenter. However, I when I clicked on LIVE VIDEO within ProPresenter, the video did not come up. I did get a little camera in the upper right corner. I had set preferences to S-Video, the only choice. I could play the recorded video inside ProPresenter and out to the TV's but never anything live came through. I did have to hook up the video feed to the yellow RCA plug that came with the XLR8 converter because their was not a S-Video cable coming form the camera. Only an RCA plug.

It sounds like you are using an application to record the signal from the XLR8. Shutdown the recording application and ProPresenter (as well as any other software that is utilizing the XLR8 video input) and then restart ProPresenter. Do NOT restart the recording application.

Once ProPresenter has restarted, double check your "Live" preferences to make certain that the S-video port on the XLR-8 is still set as the video source. When that's down close out of your preferences. Now engage your live feed in ProPresenter (F7-key) and make sure that the red "on" symbol appears on the live button. Your camera should be visible now.

If you still can't see the video, make sure that no other layers are engaged that could be hiding the video.

Does this resolve your problem?

OK thanks, will be 3-4 days before I try that due to vacation but I will respond when I try it.

Great. Let me know your results.

I now have live video to the TV's , thanks. I have captured some of that live video on the Mac Mini hard drive. However, I do not remember the steps to record the video. A little red dot is on the camera but it does not seem to change when I click on it. The XLR8 works great and I can play back the portions I have recorded. I made sure all other programs are closed when I go back to ProPresenter5, live video shows but I cannot make it record. Thanks, Ken

As I mentioned on 10/4/2013 at 1:09 PM, for your situation, you would need to split your camera signal and input one feed to your XLR8 for ProPresenter, while sending the other feed to another record device. Again, the second record device could be anything from a DV deck to a DVD recorder as well as any other video recorder with the appropriate inputs.

Any video input can only be used by one software at a time. Does this help?

Yes, I remember now, for some reason I thought clicking the red button made it record. I did record some live video and I thought it was while I was showing the video on the screens but I guess not. Thanks

David Ruck
David Ruck
David Ruck, Professional Video Editor