Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Dustin (Mac expert), I have a problem viewing my email on

Dustin (Mac expert), I have a...
Dustin (Mac expert),
I have a problem viewing my email on my iPad and need your help.
Frank
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2013
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Hi Frank, were you previously able to view your email on this same ipad?

Also, who is your email account with, gmail, yahoo, aol, hotmail, ( just the company or website name please )

Thanks,

Dustin S.

Dustin,

Good to work with you.

Yes, but never from my new alias [email protected]

My apologies, due to privacy concerns, wheny you type in the whole email address Frank, I cant see it.

Can you resend your alias, but only send t he last half , the part that comes after the @ sign.

Such as aol.com, yahoo.com, gmail.com, etc etc.

Thanks!

gmail.com

Excellent Frank..

If you already currently have the gmail app installed, Please send a reply so we can discuss a different method..

If you dont have the gmail mail app installed, please download the app from the apple app store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmail-email-from-google/id422689480?mt=8

Download and install the app.. And once installed, launch the new gmail application.

Then, add your new gmail.com account to the app, and it will allow you to download, store, and reply to your gmail messages with ease.. The gmail app is definitely the most reliable way to access gmail on any ios device..

If your run into any issues, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Dustin,

Do you want me to reply from my iMac or my iPad?

What is your email address?

Frank

HI Frank, unfortunately I cannot give out my address. However, any replies you send to me via the reply to expert button, go to my work email..

As far as where you reply from, I suppose whichever is more convenient for you would be fine.

For now, lets try the steps I suggested above to get your gmail account working on your ipad..

And if you run into any issues, or even if it works please reply to let me know.

Thanks,

Dustin S

Dustin,

I have two Gmail accounts on my iPad, GmailZZ named FrankSieglinde-gmail.com, and fhm named frankhenrymyers-gmail.com.

When I try to use fhm my iPad tells me "Cannot Get Mail, The user name or password XXXXX 'fhm is incorrect'"

I've tried everything I can think of the make it work like deleting the account, etc to no avail.Ffrank

Question Frank, have you already installed the gmail ios app as I suggested?

I had it already and its Version 2.4.

Thanks.

These steps, shoudl help you add your second gmail account, onto the gmail app for ipad..

To set up additional Gmail or Google Apps accounts in the Gmail app for iPhone and iPad:

• Go to the list of labels in the Gmail app.
    • Swipe right in the inbox or a label, for instance, or tap the menu button.
  • Tap the currently selected account's user name at the top.
  • Now select Add account.
  • Type the full email address for the Gmail or Google Apps account you want to add under Email.
  • Enter the account password XXXXX Password.
  • Tap Sign in.
You can add up to four additional accounts to Gmail for iOS for a maximum total of five

Once signed in, you should be able to download and reply to your mail using the app.. Let me know if you run into further issues.

Dustin S.

Dustin,

Have you actually done this yourself on an iPad?

I ask you that because I don't know where to start. On my main screen of apps do I click on the Mail app or the Settings app? I have already deleted the fhm account and added it again. I know the password XXXXX XXXXX It still doesn't work.

That's why I need some expert help.

Frank

You want to go to your applications view, where you view your installed applications.

And then open the gmail app itself ( icon should look like this )

See the icon at the top right? Thats where we want to add the gmail account...

( if you dont have that app icon, then you dont have the gmail app installed!!)

Once you have tapped on the gmail app icon.. The

I think you mean the icon at the top LEFT which I do have.

And I have already deleted the fhm account and added it with the correct password.

What's next?

My apologies.. Yes.. Top left.

Ok.. your adding the gmail account, via the red gmail app icon,

and you add the fhm account there, with the correct password, and inside the gmail app itself it doesnt download the mail, and it rejects your password?

I am certain that the password XXXXX XXXXX

I have experimented with this enough and need some expert help.

Im not trying t o experiment with you Frank, Im trying to help you work through whatever reason is causing the account not to work.

To be clear, you are typing in the full gmail address for fhm, beginnig to end, including the @gmail.com portion, correct?

If so.. Then its possible that you may have to unlock the gmail account as follows

Try this, click on the link here

follow through the steps to unlock your fhm gmail account

and once complete, attempt again to add that gmail account and password XXXXX the gmail app..

Dustin,

When I clicked on the link I found myself wandering through a maze of google stuff that I don't understand. I am not sure what to do next.

Frank

Lets try this again from yoru imac.

launch safari or firefox.

go to gmail.com

sign into the fhm gmail account

then once signed in, on the imac click this link

https://accounts.google.com/UnlockCaptcha

click continue,

it should then say, account access enabled, try to sign in again from your devices.

Does that happen? ( if not, send a reply letting me know what you see when you follow the above steps )

If it does happen, try again to sign into the gmail app on your ipad, using the fhm account.

Ok, I'll try it. I have to take a break for about an hour.

Thats fine Frank, my apologies for the time this is taking..

We are definitely narrowing down possible causes as to why this is happening.. Send a reply when you can, and Ill do my best to respond.

Dustin S

I followed your iMac instructions and got "Account access enabled."

I restarted my iPad and tried to login from it. no luck.

I deleted my fhm account, restarted my iPad, added the fhm account, and tried to login. no luck.

The only thing I see is trying to follow the Google accounts "An update to your account is required path, see;

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED%2FUnlockCaptcha&bothAccounts=false&loginMatchedShadow=true

Any suggestions?

Question Frank.. When you say, ""
The only thing I see is trying to follow the Google accounts""

where are you seeing that, update to your account is required message?

On the ipad, and what exactly were you doing when you seen it? ( updating your account is what were trying to do , such as when it said acoc**t accecc enabled )

and the link, if you click on the update link, what do you see next ?

I see:

You are currently signed in to the personal Google Account [email protected] "Personal" means this account and its data are owned by you.

That address is now reserved for use by ieee.org. You need to take action. Why?

Plus more details on the "Personal Google Account" and the "Google Apps account." Can I send you a screen capture of these two details?

Aha..

somehow, you have setup a conflicting account..

are you a member of http://eleccomm.ieee.org/

Did you set up your account through them, or recently sign up as a member?

Good questions. I have to take about 1 ½ hour break. I'll get back then.

Understood.. I will be taking a couple hour break soon, but should be back online about 9pm..

So if I dont respond right away when you reply, It shouldnt be till shortly afterwords..

Dustin S.

Dustin,

I have been a online member of the IEEE for decades. I went to: http://eleccomm.ieee.org/ and couldn't find out how to manage my alias. Then I ran mail experiments on my iMac and iPad:

On my iMac under Mail/MAILBOXES/Inbox, I have two boxes; one with the Email Address of frankhenrymyers#gmail.com, the other with the Email Address of FrankSieglinde#gmail.com. They both have the same Incoming Mail Server imap.gmail.com.

On my iPad I deleted all my mail accounts. I restarted the iPad and created a frankhenrymyers account and it failed. I restarted the iPad again and it still failed. I deleted it and created a franksieglinde#gmail.com account (yes, with lower case letters) and it failed. I restarted the iPad again and it worked!! The resulting email is the same as that on the iMac under that account.

I am very confused.

Frank

Im confused as well Frank, admittedly Ive been workig for a while and its getting late ...

If Im understanding what your saying, is that after we did the account unlock for both email accounts via the google link i sent.

after repeating a process of unintsall, reinstall, uninstall .. The account simply started working again?

Dustin,

Its time to go to bed! I'll review what I sent and what you replied and see if I can clarify the situation.

Send me a brief reply, go to bed and we'll continue tomorrow.

Frank

Tommorow sounds like a great idea to me..

It seems like weve drilled down into the issue you were having, and found the root cause..

Now its just a matter of solving it..

Dustin,

I am writing this from my iPad and logged in on frankhenrymyers#gmail.com. I can't describe how I got here. But I did! I've been up for two hours. I'll experiment with this tomorrow.

Frank

Hi Frank..

The account unlock links we used , its possible it simply took some time to update in system. Generally when your having the issue you were having. ( a correct email and password XXXXX to work from an IOS device within the gmail app itself )

That tells us that the account itself needs to be unlocked for mobile use. Which is what the link was for I sent y ou.

Glad to hear its working now.. If you run into further issue, or have further questions, please let me know.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist