Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My Ipad 2 is frozen with an Itunes icon in the center and an

My Ipad 2 is frozen with an Itunes icon in the center and an image of the power cord pointing at it.

I had left it the night before, updating a new update (Thursday night?)

My power cord is damaged near the plug, but I tried a spare we have and it doesn't seem to be the power cord.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The USB Cable pointing to iTunes indicates that either the iOS of your iPad is corrupted or the inernal memory of your iPad has failed. We have to restore your iPad from iTunes on your computer which will erase everything from your iPad and install a fresh version. That is your only way to fix the problem and get back to you iPad (unless it is hardware related)

You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition.

First, download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank (shows black screen). Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.

If you have any trouble following the steps, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing happens

Patricia, could you please tell me about at which step do you have trouble ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went through all of the steps.

The last step says to click on OK or restore. I clicked on OK and nothing happened, except the dialog box disappearing.

We tried it three times.

What does your iPad shows now ? And what does iTunes shows (in the itunes lcd screen on your PC) ? Does it shows Downloading firmware ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the ipad is unchanged

on itunes, I do not know where the lcd screen is, but I see no downloading firmware. if my mouse is in the box with the apple at the top, is see 3 .---, stacked.

does that help?

If your iPad is still showing the iTunes logo and USB cable, then it is not in DFU Mode. In DFU Mode, your iPad will show black screen. Disconnect it from your PC and follow the steps below;

• After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK to Restore

It is hard to get to DFU Mode and timing is important when pressing and releasing the buttons. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. Let me know how it goes...

Patricia, see this video if you still have difficulty getting it to DFU Mode (the video is for iPhone, but the steps are same for iPad) :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITIiGswjFI

(Ignore the first slide to turn off step in the video). Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tunes finished, but the Ipad is still black. My son is plugging it in to see if it needs power.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I had to wait several hours for my Ipad to reload
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Did iTunes report that the Restore completed successfully?

Hi there, does your iPad turned on while restoring ? Did you received any errors ?
If it still not working then can you try with another USB cable ? This time you don't have to wait for hours since the firmware is already downloaded.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got an error message " this I pad could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (3194)

This usually happens if your if your iTunes can't communicate with the udpate or restore server. Something is preventing your PC from communicating with Apple's server. Do you have access to another PC ?
If you have any AntiVirus applications installed on your PC, then disable them first and restore again. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I couldn't get I tunes to loan properly on my son's computer. He's got a gaming computer he bought with his own money and I don't want to fool around with it.

I tried again on my computer ( a cheap "retread" ), with a different usb cord and disconnected my printer. I did turn off my firewall and restarted the computer.

still no luck.

my life is on that IPad!!!

I understand. But what happens when you load iTunes on his computer ? Any errors ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, it loaded, but it told me to do it again.

Even though I turned off his firewall, it came up with 5 or 6 files that it wouldn't download.

What is the exact message you are getting when you open itunes on his PC ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The error messages are gone and I tunes isn't even showing on his computer. I'm trying again. its about half done.

Installing itunes won't mess up anything on his PC. So it is safe to do it. Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I succeeded in downloading itunes on his computer. when I plug in the ipad it recognizes that the ipad needs to be restored, but it doesn't show the window that asks you if you want to restore the ipad.

Is there a way I can get my calendar and contacts? I have work I need to get done today and appointments I need info on.

I need access to the information!

I'm very sorry for the bad news. Unfortunately, everything is already lost from your iPad. You can't do anything to save contents of your iPad. Your only hope is, If you had iCloud syncing enabled on your iPad, then go to www.icloud.com on your PC and log in with your Apple ID and password. Then check whether the calendar and contacts are there or not.

As I mentioned before, the USB Cable pointing to iTunes indicates either software or hardware problem. It seems like this is not a software issue, but a hardware problem. Lets try again. Disconnect the iPad from his PC, then reboot it by holding down both Power and Home button at same time UNTIL it shows Apple logo. If it returns back to the iTunes logo screen, then connect it back to his PC and put it to DFU Mode again and try to restore it. If it still not working, then you have to take it back to the Apple store to get it fixed. We've already tried everything so far and if it still not working, then it needs to be serviced. Sorry...

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it didn't work. i can't afford to have the ipad repaired. it isn't even 2 years old!

back to paper and pen I guess.

thank you

I'm very sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. I wish I could, but this is something that can't be fixed online. We've tried all possible solutions so far.

If you are not satisified, please don't rate me Negatively in here or in the survery you get from JustAnswer. Thank You.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already rated you favorably. It's not your fault.
I went to the apple store and had a "genius" restore it for me, so I am back in the game.
Thank you
Yes You did. Thank you sir :)