Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just got a used ipad 1 for my mom and need to upgrade to

ios6 but don't seem to...
I just got a used ipad 1 for my mom and need to upgrade to ios6 but don't seem to be able to. Can you please walk me through step by step. Thanks
Lynn
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2013
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Hi Lynn

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What happens when you try to upgrade to iOS 6? Any error message?

Also, what is the current version on the ipad? To find that, go to settings > general > about

Thank You
Vinod
Hi Vinod thank you Not sure what you need to know under about but Version is 5.1.1 is that what you need
No error messages they just keep trying to sell me a new ipad
Thank you, Lynn.

If it is a first generation ipad, the maximum update it can take is 5.1.1.

Since it is already having that version, unfortunately, you will not be able to update 6.0 onto it.

Sorry for the bad news, but that is the maximum supported by ipad 1.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Thank you
All I was really trying to do was set up a yahoo account for her and it got very complicated. Can you walk me through that please
sure.

Do you already have a yahoo email address OR you want to set that up too?
I tried three times to set it up. Checked by trying to sign in and it never registered
Let's try it again. (please remember that you can configure only an existing yahoo account).

Go to settings > mail, contacts and calendars.

Click on "Add account"

Tap on "Yahoo".

Type your name, the complete email address (for eg:[email protected]), password XXXXX click on "Next".

Let me know whether that takes you to the next page

I just did that and the acct doesn't exist.
so you may not be having a yahoo email address.

Let's go to

www.yahoomail.com

from your computer (or on the ipad through safari).

Try to login through that. If it does not work there either, create a new yahoo account through the computer and then you can configure it on the ipad.

Let me know
Ok i think i set up my moms yahoo acct. how can i get her icon on her ipad? Thx again
There are two options. One is you can go to settings > mail, contacts and calendars > add account and configure that yahoo account. Now the yahoo emails will be accessible when you click on the "mail" app at the bottom of the screen.

Or you can download the "yahoo mail" app from the app store. So you will be having a yahoo mail icon on the ipad. You can set up the email there as well.
When i try to download the app from the app store it says i need ios 6 or greater what other older app can i download?
I just checked that it is correct. The yahoo mail app needs iOS 6.0 or later. It is not having an older version either.

Now, we are constrained to configure the yahoo account only through settings > mail, contacts and calendars.

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
That is done she will just have to use the mail icon thx
I will let you know later what happened with my ipad and NOTES
thanks so much but i have to run now
no worries, take your own time and reply.

Have a great day!
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist