Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I want to update my iphone but it wont let me, it says I dont

have enough room. Although I only...
I want to update my iphone but it wont let me, it says I dont have enough room.
Although I only have about 1k pics on my phone, its saying I've used over 4 gigs of space on the phone.

Ultimately, what I would like to do is take the pics off of my iphone and put them on my computer, OR ideally have ALL of my photos in a place where I can organize and access them, preferably free.

So, I want to update my iphone, but when i plug my iphone into my mac, it's not showing up in my finder (Im not that great with mac...new to it) so it's not allowing me to remove the pics from my phone.

The whole icloud thing confuses me, it's not letting me view, edit or move the pics.
9/19/2013
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Thanks, Nickee.

Are the photos on your iPhone that you wish to save in the Camera Roll?

yes

Okay, great.

In the Finder, click the "Go" menu at the top of the screen and then choose Applications.

In the Applications folder, locate iPhoto and open it. If it's the first time setting things up then it may ask a couple of questions.

Plug your iPhone into the Mac, it should appear in iPhoto in the sidebar at the left. Select it, if it isn't selected automatically.

Click Import All. If you want only some of your images imported, select the images and videos you would like to import into iPhoto, then click the Import Selected button.

When the photos finish importing, you will be presented with a dialog asking whether you'd like to delete the original photos from your Camera Roll. Click Delete Photos.

You should then be able to update the software on your iPhone.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I am credited for my time.

Thanks and good luck,

its telling me, the following file could not be imported, the file is in an unrecognized format?

/Users/lisapatterson/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Import/Masters/Roll 1/IMG_2876.JPG
/Users/lisapatterson/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Import/Masters/Roll 1/IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2808.JPG
/Users/lisapatterson/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Import/Masters/Roll 1/IMG_2872.JPG

It sounds as though something may be wrong with those specific photos. Did all the other photos completely import as expected?

I rebooted and was able to get it to go through. Signed up for a dropbox account. Thank you so much for your help :)

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
John T. F., Mac Druid