Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Got replacement lens on my iPad 4. When I turned it on after

Customer Question
Got replacement lens on my...
Got replacement lens on my iPad 4.
When I turned it on after picking it up,
It asked for lockout passcode. I
had no passcode and computer tech
claimed he did not do it.

I am afraid of losing my data if I put in
Wrong code too many times.

Need help!!
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
9/16/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

I'll be happy to work with you on this but I want to point out that due to security issues the final answer may be an unpleasant one and I'll ask you not to shoot the messenger. :-)

If that's agreeable to you can you please tell me how you normally sync this iPad?

No that's not agreeable. You are an expert and should know right now what can be done if anything. I am sure you've seen it before. Do not charge me if your answer is going to be there is nothing we can do about it right now together. Thank you

With all due respect, DJ. I am indeed an Expert but I am not a mind reader and have zero knowledge as to whether you are backing up or syncing your data as you should until you let me know, among other details. Your ability to recover from this issue is directly related to your specific situation, as you must realize, and since it's not a situation of my making there is no blanket answer. Some people can recover all their data and some none.

However, if your payment is conditional upon whether you like an answer vs how accurate it is then I would be happy to opt out and let another Expert pick it up if they wish to do so.

Thanks,

I assure you all due respect is mutual. Sorry. I am alarmed at how difficult it is to get this issue handled by apple store in my own neighborhood! How about a universal easy question first? In your experience, with no regard to whether or not data is lost, is there a procedure we can follow to get past lockout code and get to settings? I have never synced on my home computer. My husband originally bought it for himself and I haven't synched
Since I started using it in June. Can it be changed remotely or affected when he is synching his iPhone? The iPad is still set up with his email and
iTunes password, but I have that info and have used it to purchase apps etc..... Thank you.
I will answer this question but what I ask is that you do not give me a bad rating for facts which I have no control over... If you wish a refund at the end of our discussion then JustAnswer can help you with that but unjust negative ratings effects my ability to earn a living.

To answer your question; There is, sadly, no work around for the sign in passcode on this device. Apple has created it with security in mind and so it simply isn't possible to readily get past this obstacle (otherwise anyone could steal your device and gain access to your personla data).

If the iPad WAS previusly syncing with your husband's computer then you may be able to connect it there and have iTunes unlock the iPad.

However, short of that there must be a back up of some sort to recover data. This could be in the form of an iTunes back up BUT, also, if iCloud was enabled on the iPad it may have been sycning and/or backing up data automatically. I can help aith any/all of the above.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I am credited for my time.

Thanks and good luck,
You will get positive rating from me because you have been professional. I will give you that rating as soon as I have spoken
With someone in billing to assure I am not charged since
We were unable to resolve issue. May I have the contact phone number please? Thank you for your time
Okay, I show you are in the US so this should be the right contact info.

US/Canada 1.888.862.9212
 - Available 6am to 6pm PST

You may wish to ask them about how to record the rating as I believe there would be a special process for that in light of the refund. You will likely receive a survey via email within a few days, as well.

Thanks and good luck!
John T. F., Mac Druid