Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a grey screen and an Apple in the middle with a spinning

Customer Question
wheel What do I do...
I have a grey screen and an Apple in the middle with a spinning wheel What do I do ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you happen to know which version of OS X is installed?

OSX 10.68

Thanks, Mike.

Did anything happen prior to the issue described?

no.

Thanks again.

Do you have your original OS X 10.6 install disc handy for troubleshooting purposes?

yes

Sorry I have a 10.5.2 Should we go on Chat?

and a patch disc of snow leopard 10.6

Okay the 10.6 upgrade disc should work, please try the following and we'll go from there if that doesn't.

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key to boot from the disc. You can release the "C" when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Choose your language and click to continue.

When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" in the menubar and choose Disk Utility.

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD").

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac and hopefully boot to desktop.

If you still have concerns, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and positive ratings assure I am credited for my time.

Thanks and good luck,

Still spinning

No Different

You sure its just C

Ok Stand by just got there

Okay, good. I'll be here.

i followed the steps and itsaid HD had no errors but after re starting it is still just the spinning gear and apple logo. ANy other options?

Okay, that is good news at least.

Try this next;

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop, if it will.

With the CD out Right

Yes, you do not need to boot off the CD.

OK went to the Grey screen again with spinning wheel

after a bar cam up at the bottom

as if it was loading

It may take a long while to boot doing this... does it seem stuck?

It first started with a bar at the bottom then when it went all the way across I am now still with the spinning wheel and a grey screen

Want to Chat it may be easier?

I'm sorry I have chat disabled for this category at the moment.

Do you have anything plugged into this Mac beyond the necessary items, currently?

NO

Okay, since the hard drive checks out fine and nothing has changed just prior to the event then it sounds as though a setting of some sort may be corrupted. This could be a hardware setting or a software setting.

For hardware, try these;

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

Grey Screen still spining

Okay, in this case the next step is to try and re-install OS X.

You can reinstall Mac OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

Insert the OS X install CD.

When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen, follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).

If you want to control which parts of Mac OS X are installed, click Customize, and then select the parts you want to install but defaults should be fine otherwise.

To start the installation, click Install.

Ok I guess this is going to take awhile I'l talk to you tomorrow

No problem. I generally work from around Three to midnight EDT, minus breaks.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software installation and updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid