Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My Mac Pro died from an electrical surge, but the HD was find,

so put it on a...
My Mac Pro died from an electrical surge, but the HD was find, so put it on a side drive. I have managed to migrate files and data from the HD to the new MacPro but all of my iMovies projects are missing. I need to migrate my iMovie projects to the new Mac. Can you help?
9/14/2013
Mike, Mac Medic
How did you migrate the other files?

All others could be simply dragged from the side HD to the new Mac Pro. So, nothing fancy. I have all the serial numbers, and periodically needed to enter. Sue

You should have used the Migration Assistant to bring over your whole account. Do you know how to use that?

Never heard of it. I have reconfigures almost everything on the new Mac. Can the Migration Asst migrate specific applications and files and ignore others?

Yes but it would be easier to just do the whole thing. It is in your Utilities folder, if you open it with the old drive connected you will see how to do that also look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

if you just want to copy over your old iMovie folders from your old Movies folder to the new Movies folder that should also work, see here:

graphic

Sorry Movies folder I changed that.

Sorry, no Movies folder in the applications folder.

Not in Applications your Movies folder on both drives will be in Users / Your Username / Movies

It is going to take me awhile to copy and test. Can I just click on one of the previous emails to contact you to finish the experience? It may not be quickly - may possibly be tomorrow. Will you still receive your payment etc after I confirm it works? Sue

Yes no problem or bookmark this page. Good luck.
Mike, Mac Medic

This is probably the answer, but I am having a terrible time trying to transfer the old files from the backup HD. The connection constantly stops. So, I will assume that this is right right answer and thank you for your help! Sue

Hi, Mike. I gave you an excellent rating - top rating all the way. You certainly solved one of my two problems. You saved 100 hours of rebuilding iMovies. My only remaining total misery is trying to figure how to migrate Photoshop to the new computer. Yours, Sue

I assume you do not have the original disk?

Was downloaded about 3 years ago. :(

What version of Photoshop and also please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Adobe Creative Suite 3 contains Photoshop and Dreamweaver that I need and others that I do not need.

Mac OS x 10.8.3 Proessor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

This is have been such a good experience that I am considering signing up for monthly. Would that include PC help along with Mac?

Yes as well as many other categories. I'm afraid you will probably have to contact Adobe because only the latest version of CS3 will run on Mountain Lion. If you use migration assistant to bring them over then you can try to update them manually since they probably won't open to use the auto update feature:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3774
You should also go to Apple Logo to Software update

Has been a week or so therefore perhaps you lost the thread of this conversation. My old computer with Adobe Create Suite crashed when I copied over the application, it knew was not the same laptop and will not launch.

I remember, it's all right here. You can't just copy it over you have to use the Migration Assistant. There is more to it than just the app. It has to be reinstalled or brought over the proper way.

Thank you. I had understood from previous conversation that Migration Assistant only function for the entire hard disk, not individual applications. I will certainly try this week.

Last question -- If I sign up will I also be able to ask questions about PC?

Your new fan,

Sue

Yes as I said as well as many other categories.

Sorry, did not receive that answer. We're done. You did great. Now it's on me to migrate. If I need to rate you again, let me know.

No you are good. You might want to reread the posts as I double posted a couple times to see what you missed. Thanks!!!

If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

I already gave you an EXCELLENT rating. I think we are done.

Yes I was just giving you additional information sorry do not Rate Again, thanks

Mike, I have been completely cut off from James K before he finished he has disappeared. Can you please contact him and ask him to finish the answer with me? I am so very sorry, but there is no "Reply to Expert" field in James and my conversation page. Thank you!!!

I have no way to do that, sorry. You can't go back to the link in the email you received?

I used "reply" to email several times. No answer. Why is there no Reply to Expert field on our conversation page? Like this one with you. You have been so responsive, and so very professional, Mike. Am so sorry to bother you. And totally frustrated. Yours, Sue

Sorry about that. No you don't reply to email there should be a link you click on in the message body that takes you back to the webpage, no?

Yes it takes me to the webpage. But here on your page I am tying in a field "Reply to Expert". His webpage suddenly stopped displaying this field, so I cannot contact him. Sue

Can you give me the website address of that page?
Mike, Mac Medic