Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I went in to change the password XXXXX the Macbook by following

Customer Question
directions from a mac site...
I went in to change the password XXXXX the Macbook by following directions from a mac site. It said to hold down Command S first. So I did this and tried what it said after that, but nothing. In addition to that, the computer turns on to the gray screen and then turns off. I am back in Command S right now, as I have tried it several times to see if I can figure something out and there is a message about booting the system. It says to type exit, so I did this and there was something about "killing the __________." I am at a loss as to how to get my computer back. Can you help?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
9/8/2013
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 4 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

To clarify, did the MacBook have an issue booting prior to the attempt to change the password?

Yes, thanks. RIght now I will get out of the internal program and start again with you.

Okay, thanks Chris. If the Mac was already in a state where it would not boot then changing the password XXXXX probably not get you any further at this point.

Do you know which version of OS X is installed?

I think it is leopard, but not totally sure. I bought it in the spring from a refurbisher.

Ok. Did you get the original OS X install discs with it?

no, nothing but the computer and the recharger.

Okay, if you let the MacBook attempt to boot normally do you get any images on display or is it just a blank screen (no Apple logo or anything else, etc...)?

It goes into the usual grey screen, and then shuts off.

Alright, try this and see if it gets you anywhere;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#).

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Hopefully, it will boot back into the Desktop but if not let me know.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

The message I get over and over is "EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8" and nothing changes when I repeat the information you suggested.

You are getting this after issuing the fsck command?

Yes

Hello, are you there?

Sorry Chris, I did not get a notice for the first reply. Try this and then repeat the previous procedure;

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time.

I'll try again, but it turned off. Here I go again....no, it didn't work, just turned itself off.

Okay, Chris.

Do you know which model of MacBook this is? Failing that there may be a serial number on the bottom of the unit or underneath the battery.

There is a barcode on the back with a number above it and I am wondering if that is where the serial number is...here it is:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

It would be a slightly longer number and include several letters, as well... A model number may work too, it would look similar to MA699xx/A.

On the battery is: 9G7230XB2YF4A

That's about the right length but it would not be on the battery itself (as batteries have their own serial number).

W872512NYA5

That's the one! I show this as being a "MacBook (13-inch Mid-2007) model".

There are two common possibilities for this issue.

One is that the internal memory has become defective or loose. You can check if it is loose yourself using directions via the following link for your model:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651#link3

Remove the memory, then re-install it and try the fsck procedure again. If there are two memory modules installed, try leaving one out for testing (and then test with the other swapped in next).

If memory does not seem to be an issue then there is likely a severe issue with the hard drive, this could be software or hardware but it will be difficult to eliminate without an install disc.

It is no longer officially sold in most stores and if you can't readily find it most customers have been able to get it from Apple by ordering online or via telephone.

For a limited time, it may be available via the Apple Online store in the US:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) and tell them you want the Snow Leopard upgrade which they can send on CD for around $20 USD shipped.

If you do not feel comfortable checking the memory itself or wish to spend money on the CD then the next option is to contact a local authorized service center.

When troubleshooting hardware issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical defect in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger. Wink

I can't even get the fricking back off...got all the screws out, but the back won't come off by the battery connection. I could take the L-bracket out to see if that would release the top. I never thought it would be this intensive!!

Stop and put the other screws back. The section for your laptop is listed under your model. The L bracket in the battery compartment is all that needs removed if I recall correctly.

zok...putting screws back in.

Screws are in....now what?

Ok now just remove the L bracket inside the battery compartment. You should see the memory behind that.

OK, I'm on it.

OK, the L-bracket is out and I got the memory cards out, but when replacing them, I expected there to be some click to indicate that they were returned properly. And the spring loaded arms don't seem to be as tight...is there a secret to reinstalling the memory?

Hello? I put the memory back in and started the computer, but it did the same thing as before...went to the grey and turned off. I think there is something to the message Exited with Signal 8. Can you find out what that means...that may be the key?

Hello

Was there two memory modules or just one?

Two, one was a Dell and the other had no nomenclature on it.

Ok. Try the fsck procedure again. If you get the same error, remove the Dell module and try again.

Yea, I just found that out by watching a youtube....I wish you had told me when I was in with the memory cards initially. So we'll take the Dell memory card out and try to see if it will work. Can I then install the memory card that has been retrieved at a later date?

Yes actually I told you when I first suggested testing the memory, I said "Remove the memory, then re-install it and try the fsck procedure again. If there are two memory modules installed, try leaving one out for testing (and then test with the other swapped in next)."

So you should test with both modules. Then test with the Dell module removed. Then test with the other removed and the dell reinserted. If you find a combination that works then the one left out is defective. You would need to replace it with a new module.

TAking one out vs removing and reinstalling are two different things. I did take them out initially then tried the FSCK, but it didn't work. So this is why I suggested researching the error message. Then I did this and found it on a youtube saying to take one of the memory disks completely out and test it again.

So hopefully, I won't strip the tiny screws as I take the memory in and out.

Yes indeed they are two different things which is why I indicated testing them in the three different configurations I listed originally. I'm aware of the error and this is the reason I suggested it. You should strip the screws provided you are using the proper size tool as given on the link previously.

I tried the fsck again and got the same message with only the Dell memory card installed. So now I suppose it is the hard drive that has serious problems?

I have tried all three options....1)taking them out, putting them back 2) taking the Dell out leaving one 3) taking the other out and putting the Dell back in. No luck. My cynical part wants to say "maybe if I take both cards out then it will work." What a pain in the gotugi!

Ok. It is sounding as though it is likely the hard drive in this case. Your memory seems fine.
Relist: Other.
I would have liked to have known from the beginning that there might not be an answer to this question and not be charged if there isn't a solution.

Hello again, Chris.

I realize you may be frustrated with your answer but it *is* an answer, just not the one that either of us might hope for, and I provided it in detail posted at 5:07PM EDT. Please keep in mind that I can only provide you with information and assistance and make a diagnosis for you based on the information you provide in return so it would be logically impossible to provide a blanket answer for you without performing diagnostic procedures. I'd be happy to outline that answer further for you if something is unclear or elaborate on anything you still have questions about.

Beyond that, unless you were to positively rate my answer then I have been helping you free of charge for a better part of the afternoon/evening. I haven't received any compensation and am not an emplyee of JustAnswer so I'm not on a payroll either. I'm happy to help, as always, though.

John T. F., Mac Druid