Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

MPB not detecting external monitor

Customer Question
MPB not detecting external monitor
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mac
9/7/2013
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 4 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

version 10.6.8

processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1067 MhZ DDR3

startup Disk Macintosh HD

OK try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Please come back if that didn't work

I tried this twice, it didnot work. The screen flashes blue but it doesnot show up on the external screen. When I open Display tab in System preferences, it doesn't show the arrangement tab nor the mirror box.

It is still the same problem. Why did this start happening all of a sudden while it used to work fine before? and Why didnot your technique work? What else can we try?

thanks

So it was working previously? What model is the monitor and how is it connected?

The monitor is an ACER but I also have the same problem with the HD TV. Both used to work using an HDMI connected to the white square adapter that comes with the laptop. mini VGA?

I have 2 different HDMIs on each and so it is not the cable and it is not the external monitor, because both of those used to work before. Do I have to pay everytime I ask one question? this is getting quite expensive for the same question. Do you think you can help?

No you only pay once when you are satisfied. Ok.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

ok, it says 22 minutes. oh it just turned green

OK Repair Permissions

repair in processWink

Ok so you say it used to work with both TV and monitor and now it works with neither correct? And you have different HDMI cables for each?

right.

Is it ok if I have 2 external drives connected to the laptop while this repair is happening?

it is estimating 42 min.

OK then common sense tells us it is either the adapter or the computer. When that is done connect the monitor and check all the connections and reseat them, make sure they are tight. Then with the monitor on restart the computer

it says permissions repair complete.

I will double check on the connections, but I have tried that too before. It doesnot make sense when I've moved the laptop to another power outlet and connected it through another HDMI to the TV and got the same solution. There must be something else.

Do you have any other Macs so we can test the adapter?

I have a G5 tower that i barely use anymore, but we can try. it used to connect to 2 screens, but I can;t remember what connections I used.

shall I turn it on and connect the adapter in the back? I think I only have 1 monitor that has an HDMI port.

I doubt it has the connection you need. What model is the adapter?

oh you're right, the adapter will not work.

the adapter says Dynex Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Right there is no mini-display port on an old G5. Go here and reinstall this then restart:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

ok, working on that now.

Let me know

ok now what. it's not even detecting the external display at all. I kept the connection, the adapter and the power all plugged in while I restarted after I reinstalled Leopard.

do you have other tricks up your sleeve?Frown

Sorry what do you mean... is was not detecting the display before correct? Wat is different?

just reconfirming that it is the same situation. it wasn't detecting and it still is not detecting. what do we do?

Ok with the monitor connected go to Apple Logo to About this Mac then More Info, click on Displays on the left. What is listed on the right? You may be able to copy and paste it here.

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 288 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0046

Revision ID: 0x0018

gMux Version: 1.9.21

Displays:

Display Connector:

Status: No Display Connected

==

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a29

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3560

gMux Version: 1.9.21

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Status: No Display Connected

It is not seeing the adapter. If you have been plugging and unplugging it a lot it may be dirty. I suggest you get an air can and blow out the Mini Display port and make sure all the other connectors are clean. If that doesn't work OK I would say the adapter is faulty. Where did you get it?

I doubt it, the ports look clean. I rarely transport my laptop and especially not this adapter. It is the original adapter I received when purchasing the laptop 2 years ago.

Ok then I suggest you take it to Apple, I know that's not what you want to hear but it is either the computer hardware or the adapter that has failed from what we have done. I hope you bought the Applecare. Good luck.

if you think it is a possibility it is the adapter, I can either buy a new adapter, or borrow one from a friend and try that. if it is not the adapter, then what could be wrong?

Why do so many people say online they have the same problem?

thanks

Yes if you can that would be a good... idea borrow and adapter from a friend and if that doesn't work then you know it is the computer hardware. Or better yet try your adapter on their computer first. You can let me know later if you want.

ok this will have to wait a couple of days. and NO i don't have applecare. it might be like those folks say online, that it is a bug that Apple needs to fix. so may be there is nothing I can do about it. I just have the give up on the notion of using an external monitor. What a shame.

thanks for trying

Ok it is one of those and without another computer to check it is hard fro me to know. If you have an external hard drive we can use we could rule out a software problem by installing a clean system on it and booting from it. If that didn't work then it is DEFINITELY a hardware failure. Good luck and let me know

so if I tried the adapter on my friend's system and it does work? Then it means it is the hardware? and in that case, is there anything that could be done?

No in that case it is either a software issue or the hardware but I would guess hardware. Only installing a clean system can tell that.

ok thank you for now. This was hard work so far today

OK let me know
Mike, Mac Medic